Domain Controller on VMWare

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know this is a stupid question, but I wanted to know if setting up a domain controller on a VM machine would effect company network? I know its all virtual, but I wanted to know in any way, shape or form would it effect it? I loose to much time when I just study at home, when I could be studying and practicing at work as well.
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't put it on the bridged network connection or the NAT connection - keep it host-only. Or you might cause problems.

You don't want the network guys tapping on your cubicle wall because of the rogue domain or DHCP server that started advertising on the production network... ;)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    murdatapes wrote:
    I know this is a stupid question, but I wanted to know if setting up a domain controller on a VM machine would effect company network? I know its all virtual, but I wanted to know in any way, shape or form would it effect it? I loose to much time when I just study at home, when I could be studying and practicing at work as well.

judgeing by the still learning your best to find some beatup box your not using, and install VMware and winserver there. That way your safe. Dont' install anything on the production network that can go rouge.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Virtual machines can suffer from clock problems, and with a domain controller that can cause major headaches. Follow the KB article and whitepaper and you'll be fine.

Q888794 - Considerations when hosting Active Directory domain controller in virtual hosting environments

Running Domain Controllers in Virtual Server 2005 (while this paper references Virtual Server 2005 the same things apply to all other hypervisors.
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh ok. Ok I will do that. I was worried last night cause I almost dcpromo that thing, then thought about it. Cool. thanks man.
    Next up
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wait a minute, I misread the question.

Since this is just for testing follow blargoe's comments, make it host only. DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THE NETWORK ;)

I thought you were referring to running a DC at work as a VM as a part of your job. Sorry for the confusion.
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    oh no. Yeah just for practice. Ok host only. thanks for the replys. always helpful.
    Next up