joining the navy

unerauunerau Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_confused.gif hello i am 17 years old, non citizen ,finishing my degree in computer science in 2 years at UM(miami) or UF, (currently accepted in both as a tranfer :D ), so everything is good, i am about to publish some research papers in information security( i know my stuff), to the point, does anyone know where should i start in the NAVY, i am already a CCNP, and taking the CCDP soons\ enough, i am also very experienced with reverse engineering :) , i wish to get my citizenship is there a way to do that while my stay in the military?

Also, is there any interception unit, like hacking teams in Navy ships? just curious, i know i wont start from up there because of my citizenship problem, is this a good way to get experience in IT or would i get more benefits and pay icon_twisted.gif in the private sector.

oh by the way i can program in c++, c#, c, fortran, lisp, matlab,java, html,xml, and manage databases such as sql, linux and oracle, and microsoft. Having mastered c++,c and java.
thank you
erick

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CTN rating is the one you want, but I am pretty sure it will be almost impossible for you to get as a non-citizen. Non-citizens cannot get security clearances so you would have to become a citizen before you could become a CTN. I believe that would also stop you from becoming an IT rated person in the Navy as well.

Little information on the CTN rating: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/navy/a/navyctn.htm
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    You're 17 and can do all that? No offense but maybe you should take a little time off or a break and enjoy life before you commit to something like the navy.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dont rule out the Air Force. They have upgrade their mission from air and space superiority to air, space and cyberspace superiority. Just make sure you pass your colorvision test, I scored 97 in electronics on my ASVAB but didn't pass the colorvision test so I spent my 6 years working on the flightline.

However now I am using that GI bill to pay for my college and my certification exams. Nothing like getting a $1350 check every month for being a student and getting your $150-250 exam fees for certifications refunded pass or fail.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    This is obviously a forum troll.

I know some geeky people, but noone is THAT geeky :)

I mean come on "mastered" c++ and java at the age of 17? Haha I know Java Programmers who are in there fortys who don't consider themselves "masters" of the language.
    I suppose CCNP can happen at 17, but very unlikely.
    I also like the Matlab reference considering he probably knows nothing about that program and it's engineering capabilites. icon_rolleyes.gif

But if that really is the truth...
    I'm impressed, but at the same time you need to enjoy your younger years...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Your either blowing smoke up our ass or you've never had a girlfriend.

Take it from me, I did 3 yrs. in the Navy. You'd want to get into the Crypto fields but as a non-citizen it won't happen. You would need a TS:SCI, they don't just hand them out.

Yes you would make more in the private sector, but with no experience your earnings potential will be on the low end. Either way, it is what is.

If you join the navy, expect long hours for little pay. You'll work your ass off and get little for it. You don't join the military for the money, if you are, then you're misguided.

Either way, good luck.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • unerauunerau Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :D well maybe not mastered, but i can really use the language for a variety of stuff, graphics specially to map out proteins, but under the supervision of a professor whos also supervising my research, hes the devil.
    erick
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't believe you will be able to get a job in IT in the military if you are not a citizen as they all require a clearance (all that I have seen anyway). It will be possible to gain your citizenship while in the military, I know quite a few people that have done it.

If you know your stuff like you say, your best bet would be to get a job in the civilian sector if you want to pursue a career in IT.
    jryantech wrote:
    his is obviously a forum troll.

So quick to judge! What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty??

icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    phantasm wrote:
    Your either blowing smoke up our ass or you've never had a girlfriend.

Lol...

I don't see why people automatically go to "well if you never had a girlfriend, you are a loser".
    He is 17 years old, not 30 it is a huge difference.

English doesn't appear to be his first language as well.

The only things I see that might be true from his inital post is that he is 17 years old, not a citizen, finishing his degree in 2 years at the age of 19 (unlikely but possible), having his CCNP (unlikely but possible) and wanting to be in the Navy.

I enjoy this thread.

• unerauunerau Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i attend MDC which is like a community college but got accepted itno university of miami, FIU, FSU and UF , even yale but they are not giving me a scholarship. even so, i dont find fun in wasting my time, so the navy sounded just like me, getting lots of experience, since i am young i can speculate with my life not worrying about the time, that why i wanted to know even if i dont get into the IT field in the military, is there any branch similar to that , so once i get my citizenship i can change my rate, how often do you get promoted in the military icon_cool.gif
    erick
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Army has a team like the one you are inquiring about..it is run by the NSA, and has a somewhat extensive application process. I barely got them to look at me, with 4+ yrs in, and lots of experience. Definitely would be a long road to get where you want to go. That being said I wouldn't have gotten half the experience I've gained from the military if I had stayed in the civilian sector. There's pro's and con's. Money isn't great, benefits are...of course anyone who's been in the military no matter what branch knows one thing rings very true: It all depends on where you go and your mileage may vary.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Advancements in the military are based upon alot of things. For example, time in grade, time in service, PT scores, points from personal awards and chain of command recommendation. Also, it depends on the job field you're in. If it is full then advancement is slow going.

I don't tell people what to do one way or the other, but I enjoyed my time in the Navy and Army. It helped me alot and gave me some good oppurtunities.

Either way, any IT job will require a clearance in the military. Some other pogue jobs will be fine. But you won't deal with any IT work.

If you did join though, one possibility wouldbe volunteering with a company or non-profit on your days off for experience.

Oh, I wasn't insinuating he was a loser in my comment about not having a girlfried. It was a general remark that was intended to make people laugh, which it did.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    jryantech wrote:

I mean come on "mastered" c++ and java at the age of 17? Haha I know Java Programmers who are in there fortys who don't consider themselves "masters" of the language.
    I also like the Matlab reference considering he probably knows nothing about that program and it's engineering capabilites.

I hope you are joking. With all due respect to CISCO, being a CCNP at 17 isn't otherworldly. It is great, but some people are gifted and pick things up quick. Read Mozart's biography. Check out this 12 year in medical school http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-08-24-prodigy-school_x.htm

I could pass the CCNP before I could write a classic symphony or successfully perform surgery... I'm just sayin. icon_wink.gif
    It's kind of hard to take the original poster seriously if you read some of his other posts. Here he is talking about joining the navy where in another thread he is talking about going to medical school. It seems like he needs to sit down and really figure out what he wants to do. Navy or medical school are both big decisions and take a huge commitment especially for someone who is 17.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    jbrown414 wrote:
    It's kind of hard to take the original poster seriously if you read some of his other posts. Here he is talking about joining the navy where in another thread he is talking about going to medical school. It seems like he needs to sit down and really figure out what he wants to do. Navy or medical school are both big decisions and take a huge commitment especially for someone who is 17.

I didn't read his other posts. Big decisions indeed.
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

I also like the Matlab reference considering he probably knows nothing about that program and it's engineering capabilites.

I hope you are joking. With all due respect to CISCO, being a CCNP at 17 isn't otherworldly. It is great, but some people are gifted and pick things up quick. Read Mozart's biography. Check out this 12 year in medical school http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-08-24-prodigy-school_x.htm

I could pass the CCNP before I could write a classic symphony or successfully perform surgery... I'm just sayin. icon_wink.gif

I am not joking.

The chances of a "gifted" teenager of this magnatuide posting on TechExams.net is very unlikely.

Unless he was force fed this stuff, I doubt he has the experiences he says he has... I mean manage SQL servers at 17?

He says he knows these programming languages so good and cisco systems so good (with his certs)... why is he even bothering with Medical or the Navy?

Sorry but I have to call out B.S. when I see it.

But as I have said I think it is unlikely not saying it is impossible.

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    unerau wrote:
    icon_confused.gif hello i am 17 years old, non citizen ,finishing my degree in computer science in 2 years at UM(miami) or UF, (currently accepted in both as a tranfer :D ), so everything is good, i am about to publish some research papers in information security( i know my stuff), to the point, does anyone know where should i start in the NAVY, i am already a CCNP, and taking the CCDP soons\ enough, i am also very experienced with reverse engineering :) , i wish to get my citizenship is there a way to do that while my stay in the military?

Also, is there any interception unit, like hacking teams in Navy ships? just curious, i know i wont start from up there because of my citizenship problem, is this a good way to get experience in IT or would i get more benefits and pay icon_twisted.gif in the private sector.

oh by the way i can program in c++, c#, c, fortran, lisp, matlab,java, html,xml, and manage databases such as sql, linux and oracle, and microsoft. Having mastered c++,c and java.
    thank you

If you have all of those abilities at that age then you are a child prodigy and do not need help getting a job.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow. I'm surprised by some of the responses here. If someone were to go trolling forums, you really think posing as a gifted 17-year-old asking for career/education/military advice would be his or her method of choice? Is that some controversial topic that supposed to get people riled up? I usually see attacks on race, religion, politics, etc., but I guess this is really a sore point for some of you. Wouldn't it be better to error on the side of caution and simply give him the benefit of the doubt? I thought the whole point of these forums were to help others. It's not like he's asking for money or trying to scam us. It would have been less time consuming to simply answer or ignore his question. It makes you wonder who's really doing the trolling.
    I never said he was a troll. I just feel that he needs to sit down and really think more about what he really wants to do.

Also, read some of his other posts.
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    unerau wrote:

thank you

17 and so serious.. Kid, just relax, go to college, keep your grades up, and go get a girlfriend. I had some rather impressive academic feats at about your age also, and started college 'knowing what I wanted to do.'

Guess what.. I changed my mind more than a few times. From law and wanting to be a lawyer to wanting to be a doctor to wanting to be a financial analyst, to something in IT.

Lost my medical school scholarship on account of falling in love with a young girl who looked really good in a mini-skirt.. I still can't get the look of that girl in her short skirt out of mind even though she is probably too old/fat to wear one now. But hey, her and I were both younger.

Go have some fun.. I ended up going to medical school and hating every minute of it. But I would venture to say that most of my medical school classmates would hate to do what I do.

While I was in medical school, we had a 17 year and a 14 year old there. Both of them, regretably, had not spent the time to mature and were following a path predestined by their parents wishes more than anything else. They were both foreign. They became young doctors and some certified jerk/basket cases.

Don't do that. Take the time to enjoy your college years -- trust me, there will never be another time like your young twenties - so use it wisely.

Most medical students start at about 22-23 so you have some time. Stay in the lab and have some fun if possible. I spent quite a few hours in the lab and met a surprising number of hot women there -- in particular, the French exchange students.. :D
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    I was an ET2 in the navy and being a non-citizen will not allow you to work on anything other than chipping paint and serving food. Sorry. You cannot qualify for a security clearance.

A lot of Jobs such as Et, IS used to be RM, and the CT ratings all require a TS/SCI clearance. This also means your parents have to be American citizens.
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    If you're looking for a career in the Navy, then if at all possible get your bachelor's degree first before joining. Then join up as an officer, not as enlisted. Don't talk to those lying *!@#! enlisted recruiters if you're indecisive, who'll tell you whatever it takes to get you to sign on their dotted line. As an officer, you'll make almost double what an enlisted seaman will make.

As for jobs, research carefully what the Navy offers in the way of networking. Officers may have much more to choose from, also. You may want to look into intelligence positions. They're prestigious and come with a lot of perks, not to mention they're interesting.

Good luck with your pursuit! icon_king.gif
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    If you're looking for a career in the Navy, then if at all possible get your bachelor's degree first before joining. Then join up as an officer, not as enlisted. Don't talk to those lying *!@#! enlisted recruiters if you're indecisive, who'll tell you whatever it takes to get you to sign on their dotted line. As an officer, you'll make almost double what an enlisted seaman will make.

As for jobs, research carefully what the Navy offers in the way of networking. Officers may have much more to choose from, also. You may want to look into intelligence positions. They're prestigious and come with a lot of perks, not to mention they're interesting.

Good luck with your pursuit! icon_king.gif

He can't join as an officer only as an enlisted. The only jobs a non-citizen in the Navy can be offered are BW and MS as they don't require a clearance. The It jobs such as ET, IS, and the CT rating need a TS/SCI and he cannot get one. Even our radio freqs are classified confidential. The ET rating is where you want to go.

He can't join as an officer only as an enlisted. The only jobs a non-citizen in the Navy can be offered are BW and MS as they don't require a clearance. The It jobs such as ET, IS, and the CT rating need a TS/SCI and he cannot get one. Even our radio freqs are classified confidential. The ET rating is where you want to go. At my first assignment in the early 90's we took care of the office lan. All the telco circuits, which included the multiplexers, the D4 channel banks, all circuits, all cryto gear "it security", and radios. At this time client services where not where they are today. There was another rating which took care of the mainframes and network side but merged into the IT rating. These were the DT's. ET school is over a year and a half. It has about a 20 to 25% drop rating and is tough as you learn compenent level troubleshooting basics, then systems such as telecom, radio, and radar. The C school follows which determines is your equipment specific job where mine was a crypto pipeline for 6 weeks, on the Ky5's kg-84's, and a couple of others. The crypto school requires a active secret to get in the building and a temporary TS to get in the room with the equiment. My clearence list when I arrived at my command included a TS/SCI, Nato TS/SCI, No-foreign which is no foreign eyes, Confidential, secret, TS nuclear weapons release, TS nato nuclear release. This is why he cannot qualify for these rates.

The CT ratings are the spooks they spy on people, and are a large part of the NSA. The CTT's are the ET equivilent there. Much of their job is spent fixing equipment which does eavsdroppings. CTI's are language specilist who listen to recorded calls, CTA's are admin types. I think there are a couple of others also but I have forgotten them all. Everything here is compartmented. They spend alot of time on airplanes in third world countries listening to people talk.