Options

Second Shot Voucher question?

Does the Second chance offer come up every year? I heard someone say they offer it every year. If so, is it only for people who are taking their first Microsoft exam or for everyone?
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They actually just extended it last year. I believe it was supposed to be done last June as well, and they kept it going. It'll be interesting to see if they do that again this year. It's for everyone.
  • Options
    Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Thanks, I am hoping they have it next year since I can't schedule a test till Jan. 2 2009 at prometric and I would love to use it for my 291 exam. But if it is extended, and it runs from Oct. to Dec. I guess I will miss out since I need that test finished by Feb 2009.
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks, I am hoping they have it next year since I can't schedule a test till Jan. 2 2009 at prometric and I would love to use it for my 291 exam. But if it is extended, and it runs from Oct. to Dec. I guess I will miss out since I need that test finished by Feb 2009.
    You're safe it runs until the end of June.

[quote=Second Shot FAQ]Q. What is the timeframe for taking my first exam and then retaking that same exam if I do not pass on the first try?
    A. You have until June 30, 2009, to register, obtain an exam voucher, complete your first exam, and retake your exam (if you did not pass on your first attempt). [/quote]
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    astorrs post is a little confusing. you have to take your first attempt by 12/31/08

1. Register for the Second Shot offer, and take the Microsoft Certification exam by December 31, 2008.

2. If you do not pass the exam, you get a free offer of a retake exam until June 30, 2009.

3. If you do pass your first exam, you get a 25 percent discount on a different exam. You have until February 28, 2009 to take the discounted exam. (Note that you do not receive a free retake offer on this discounted exam if you do not pass it on the first try.)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx
  • Options
    That's only for the promotion where you can obtain 25% off your next exam if you pass on your first try, not the second shot itself. That was an extra incentive they offered to get people to knock out a few more exams by the end of the year. The second shot runs through June, 2009.
  • Options
    Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    I signed up for it but would not be able to use it either way since I already bought a voucher for $80. It only works if you pay full price for your vouchers $125, no other promotions work with it.
  • Options
    lost33causelost33cause Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took my 270 and from my school I got a voucher and was able to take the exam for 60 bucks and sign up for second shot. If this is true that second shot is through June 2009 then you made my week. I'll call to find out. It looks as though you have until June to sign up for the exam.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/details/popup.html

This excites me. I thought I was going to have to take the 290 after 10 days of taking my 270 while also dealing with the holiday stuff.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is really great news, like others on here I was under the impression that you had to take your exam before the end of the year to get the second shot.

Is this good for only one exam or any exams you schedule and take during the time frame?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote:
    This is really great news, like others on here I was under the impression that you had to take your exam before the end of the year to get the second shot.

Is this good for only one exam or any exams you schedule and take during the time frame?

Nevermind I located to FAQ which had my answer.
    Q. How many exams are included in this free offer?
    A. Second Shot provides you with one free retake offer for each paid exam that you do not pass on the first try.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    I just took my 270 and from my school I got a voucher and was able to take the exam for 60 bucks and sign up for second shot. If this is true that second shot is through June 2009 then you made my week. I'll call to find out. It looks as though you have until June to sign up for the exam.

This excites me. I thought I was going to have to take the 290 after 10 days of taking my 270 while also dealing with the holiday stuff.

Which one did you use first? I thought the second code overrode the first one. If you got your exam for $60, you may not have the second shot. There's no real notification/verification for the second shot. You might want to give them a call and confirm.
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    dynamik wrote:
    That's only for the promotion where you can obtain 25% off your next exam if you pass on your first try, not the second shot itself. That was an extra incentive they offered to get people to knock out a few more exams by the end of the year. The second shot runs through June, 2009.

Great. I took the 291 before the 12/31/08 deadline to make sure I would get a second shot free. I only had enough time to study for about two weeks, of course I failed miserably. Oh well, at least I know what its like to fight the beast. Ill slay that jerk next time! I guess Ill have to pay close attention to the fine print on these second shot things.

Thanks for clearing this up Dynamik.
  • Options
    lost33causelost33cause Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Which one did you use first? I thought the second code overrode the first one. If you got your exam for $60, you may not have the second shot. There's no real notification/verification for the second shot. You might want to give them a call and confirm.

I already took and passed the exam. I only had one code and I had to call and schedule the test because my school said the internet sign up didn't take the discount. I think we get the deal because the school I go to is now a Microsoft Acedemy. When I scheduled my exam though I specifically asked if I still got the second shot and she said yes.
  • Options
    SamCarterSamCarter Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Last year, I saw somewhere on Microsoft's site (might have been in the Partners area) that you had to take the first test of your second shot by 12/31/08 and you had until June 09 to do the retake if necessary. Now on their site, it says:
    "You have until June 30, 2009, to register, obtain an exam voucher, complete your first exam and retake your exam (if you did not pass on your first attempt)."
    http://www.microsoft.com/Learning/Mcp/Offers/Secondshot/Default.Mspx (under "Learn More..")
    Those tests are numbered 70-xxx and cost $125. I don't think that you can use a discount voucher and get a second shot at the same time. It's one offer at a time.

The academic second shot is a different offer. This is for students or even teachers from any academic institution (high schools and colleges count). Those tests are numbered 72-xxx and cost around $60 - there are regional cost differences though but it shouldn't be much more than that.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/2ndshot/default.mspx

So if you wanted to take 70-270 with the academic discount + second shot, you would have to call and register for 72-270 by phone and bring a student ID with you to the test center. There is no difference in the material on the 72-xxx tests vs. 70-xxx.

Academic second shot has the additional requirement that the test you want to take is eligible (some MCSE tests are not offered; look on the site under "Learn More..." and then "view eligible exams").