2 x 1841 ISR's - Best place / use for them in CCNP lab

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have got myself 2 x 1841 ISR's

What is the best functionality for these routers in a CCNP lab if any? I'm working on the BSCI at the moment, are they suitable?

Just wondering if I could substitute these for some of the other routers that are suggested in typical labs i.e. 2600's

I've also Just decommissioned a 2600XM (which I plan to inherit if I'm given the go ahead!) 3600 & a 3725 at work, although these are 2U and maybe getting a tad on the large / heavy side for a home lab, especially when dynamips can emulate these..... what do you guys think?

There's even 2 x 7200 VXR's kicking around but I really don't have the space at home for them. I may set them up at work for a test lab.

I've looked at the FAQ link on the CCNP forum page, so please don't just post "look here" and send the link. None of the threads answer my question or mention 1841's, 3645's or 3725's in the context I'm looking for.

Cheers
Malc

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'll take those 7200's please :D

Hehe :)

As for learning BSCI - I'd say you really need 3-4 routers, but as you say, GNS3 is good if you dont want to overload yourself with physical equipment.

In fact, I did 99% of my practical work on GNS
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote:
    I'll take those 7200's please :D

Hehe :)

As for learning BSCI - I'd say you really need 3-4 routers, but as you say, GNS3 is good if you dont want to overload yourself with physical equipment.

In fact, I did 99% of my practical work on GNS

At the moment I have a 2621, 2 x 1721's all with serial WIC cards and 3 x 2950 switches. This is my foundation from CCNA lab which was more than sufficient. There is about 5 x 1760's I could use too at work but I'm more wondering are these routers suitable. I don't want to just fill my study with routers that don't meet the needs of my goal - CCNP

Most blogs and forums I refer to reccommend 6 x 2600 routers and a 2500 as an access server. Just wondering if 2600's are reccommended for a particular reASON (feature sets etc) or if 1841 ISR's will do the job.

I do prefer setting up the cabling etc myself although dynamips is good too and handy if you want to practice when you're away from home or the desk!

P.S. I've also ear marked a VPN 3000 concentrator which I know is end of life but we're replacing with ASA's in the new year for IPSec VPN project :D So thought I'd add it to my lab and I may set it up to VPN into my home lab at some point <<<<<<<GEEK but I like it icon_lol.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The 1841 should be good for a lab. I'm not 100% positive because I only work them every once in a while, so you should check the feature navigator for what IOS you will need.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If it's free, i'd take whatever I could get.

I would love to get my hands on a VPN Concentrator.

I've never used one before, although my company uses one. Trouble is, the Concentrator isn't based in my office and I have no access to it.

Most annoying.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Assuming that the lack of a NM slot won't affect you and you're not doing anything regarding voice then a 1841 should be able to do everything that you need a 2600XM for.

They're very nice routers actually and you can get most interfaces that fit into the HWIC slots. I'm using one with the AP card at home along with an ASA.