let say i got this scenario

Client Switch
Edge SPSwitch
Cloud of switches
Edge SPSwitch
Client Switch

SPSwitch=Service provider switch
Cloud of switches= A cloud of many many switches

Iam the Service provider and im just giving one vlan to our client to transport his data
Now he wants to pass all his vlans through my single vlan

So i though i could achive this using QinQ, i was reading about it but it seems there are many ways to achive what i want

Im kind of confused because i never used this before, so im quite unsure of the configs i should use.

I guess i could do a tunnel putting set all dot tagged enable on client switch and set port dot1qtunnel on edge swpswitch to have the ingress tunnel and the same thing on the other side to have the egress tunnel..... mmm but im quite unsure of what should be the configs on all my switches in the cloud... maybe im going the incorrect way or something or maybe there is a better method which is why im asking

Anyone could post a config example i could use? or tell me a better way of doing this?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    The edge switches just need to be set to dot1q tunnel, and have a vlan set to carry the traffic, lets say vlan 500.

Once the traffic passes through your edge, its "encapsulated" inside that vlan 500, maintaining the original vlan inside. The cloud sees this vlan 500 traffic only, and thats all it cares about.

Once the traffic reaches the other edge, it pulls off the vlan 500, and send the traffic with the original vlan tag. This way, other than the edge switches, everything else is unaware that it is even going on. The customer can run any vlans they want (even the same as you), since it will be inside your vlan.

If you have a chance, try to lab it up, as it will be clearer.
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yeah im trying to get equipment to lab it.....

i also gotta set the MTU at 1504 in all the switches that will pass that vlan....

anyways just a question, so do you mean that after it enter in the ingress part i mean after it passes the edge switch i could manage it just like a normal vlan i don thave to do any extra config in my switches? inside the switch cloud? i just can trunk it like anormal vlan?

Guess ill have to tag his native vlan as well
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Correct, once it passes your edge, your cloud is going to treat it like normal traffic, and those switches won't even know there is another vlan tag inside.

This is also why the 1504 MTU comes in, since you are tagging the packet twice, it has to account for that extra 4 bytes that the end points did not. The end points will send right up to 1500, but the edge switch needs to add another vlan tag on.

Its really a great system, as all the config is done on the edge switches, and everything else is unaware.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are using gigabit interfaces in the transit path make sure you set the "jumbo mtu" also, it can be set to 9216.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well part of the infraestructure is with allied telesis and well some Edge switches we got are allied telesis, and omfg thos switches blows(my isp is an small ISP) they dont support double tagged vlan but ah well it seems they are getting 3550s finally with that will be able to lab it and implement it :/