Lessons Learned from ICND1

nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
1) Far easier than I thought it would be
2) Shorter than I thought it would be
3) A good examination that really tests skills that a network engineer should have

Materials Used:
CBT Nuggets = Watched 2.5 times

Cisco Press ICND1 book(odom) = Read once, used the included Boson test CD (160 questions, which are really awesome to practice with) and also used the study sheets included on the Cisco Press CD(basically all the tables from the book accumulated into 14 pages printed)

CCNA 6th edition (Lammle) = Read once all the way through, did all exercises and questions for all pertinent chapters

I had a couple of old Catalyst switches and a 2600 series router that I constantly practiced on (including most of the configuration required for ICND2).

I spent a few extra weeks(then I wanted to) studying for this exam, but only because I couldn't book an earlier exam date. I started studying about 2.5 months ago.

Score:985

Thanks,

Comments

• jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    Congrats!, It's nice to hear someone say it's easier than they thought. icon_smile.gif Would you say the Boson test CD is pretty comparable in how hard it is? I've been through about the same study materials as you except I have read The Ultimate CCNA Study Package by Chris Bryant a couple times. I really like his material, I can read through it in couple days. I think I will keep studying a few more months though just to be sure.
    Jim
  • nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    I'd say that if you understand all of the questions on that CD, then you should have zero trouble taking the exam. Though I definitely would not say that those 160 questions cover ALL of the material on the exam. However, the way the questions represent the material is very similar to how the real test is.

To sum up: If you can take the exam on the CD (as you would take the real exam, without looking up the questions), then you probably will do great!
  • rterrasirterrasi Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am curiuos also concerning the Boson practice exam. Did it prepare you sufficiently for the type of quesions you received on the exam? I installed this on my laptop and I see that there is about 161 practice questions for the ICND1.
  • jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for the info., I was feeling pretty confident until the first time I tried the Boson test. That made me realize how much more work I needed to put in.
    Thanks again
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_santa.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for the congratulations. Its a good feeling to be done with this one, because I worked harder for this certification then any of the others, though the Sec+ was a close one.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I've read and watched trainsignal about the same time 2.5, I just gotta get subnetting solid, I think I should be ready too, I've been studying for this for a while now.