Just starting...

mprman426mprman426 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I am just starting in the IT world and was wondering if getting my MCSA now was worth it. I have taken classes that prepare me for 70-290, 291 and 270. I also started a systems admin job at a small library about 3 months, Two 2003 servers. I am preparing for my CCNA via the cisco netacad program though my college. Could anyone shine some light on this a bit for me? My teach has been out of the loop for a few years so I figured u guys would know a bit better than he would.

Thanx

Comments

• NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I'd say if your going to go for the MCSA for microsoft, do that, but then add on 3 extra tests to get your MCSE. MCSE carry much more prestige. Unfortunately the MCSA isn't well known and most Employeers/HR people probably haven't even heard of MCSA. Do a local job search and compare the number of MCSE vs MCSA listed in a job search. It's amazing the difference. For the most part you'll earn your MCSA on your way to MCSE anyways (there's a few cases that isn't true).

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

Cisco is always good if you want to do more networking. So it just depends if you want to work more on servers or more on routers/switches. In the end, I'd do them both :D Good luck either way you choose.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • mprman426mprman426 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cisco is always good if you want to do more networking. So it just depends if you want to work more on servers or more on routers/switches. In the end, I'd do them both :D Good luck either way you choose.

Thanx Netadmin. I really am going to school to prepare me for the CCNA. I like doing the networking portion alot more. As part of my AS degree, I had to take the 290,291 and 270 prep classes so I figured I would go ahead and get my MCSA/MCSE. Maybe I should be asking this in the CCNA section as well. Any more input from this section would be helpful too.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    mprman426 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I am just starting in the IT world and was wondering if getting my MCSA now was worth it. I have taken classes that prepare me for 70-290, 291 and 270...

Don't bother with 70-270 if I were you. Go for 70-620 for your client exam for several reasons:

A. You gain MCTS certification.
    B. It counts the same as 70-270, and you can use it for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, which is the replacement for MCSE in the W2K8 world.
    Good luck to all!
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Don't bother with 70-270 if I were you. Go for 70-620 for your client exam for several reasons:

B. It counts the same as 70-270, and you can use it for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, which is the replacement for MCSE in the W2K8 world.

Definately Agree with the Above
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    ULWiz wrote:

definitely Agree with the Above

I think he already has taken or is required to take the 70-270 class as part of his degree curriculum. So why not take the 70-270 exam since he spend all the time and money studying for it anyways? Plus it's still fresh in his head. XP will still be dominate for a couple years anyways. If it were me and I spend however many thousands of dollars for college, I'd get certified in the classes I took in college. Then worry about the rest later....

Just my two cents.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ULWiz wrote:

definitely Agree with the Above

I think he already has taken or is required to take the 70-270 class as part of his degree curriculum. So why not take the 70-270 exam since he spend all the time and money studying for it anyways? Plus it's still fresh in his head. XP will still be dominate for a couple years anyways. If it were me and I spend however many thousands of dollars for college, I'd get certified in the classes I took in college. Then worry about the rest later....

Just my two cents.

Great advice, most of my classes use certification guides as the textbook for class so they go hand in hand with getting certified, the combined with hands on training is a great way to prepare for an exam.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    Nobylspoon wrote:
    Great advice, most of my classes use certification guides as the textbook for class so they go hand in hand with getting certified, the combined with hands on training is a great way to prepare for an exam.

Yeah, I wish I know about IT certifications back when I went to college. I had no idea certifications existed. It's funny, I still have some of my old college books and low and behold the books say A+, Network+, CCNA, CISSP, ect....right on the front cover. Imagine that.

As Homer Simpson would say....Doooh!
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote:

Yeah, I wish I know about IT certifications back when I went to college. I had no idea certifications existed. It's funny, I still have some of my old college books and low and behold the books say A+, Network+, CCNA, CISSP, ect....right on the front cover. Imagine that.

As Homer Simpson would say....Doooh!

Yeah I was happy to find out my networking class next semester uses a Network+ guide. I have already read through the book to get myself ready because I plan on taking my certification exam before the semester is over due to the 2009 objectives being released.

I went through all the textbooks I need for my associates and 6 of them are certification study guides.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013