Ethernet port question

cybervexcybervex Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can a PC be directly connected to the ethernet port on a 2501 thru a crossover cable? I have not bought a switch yet and I want to test E0. At this point I am unable to ping the PC from the router or ping the router from the PC. Both the PC and the router are configured on the same network and mask. I must be missing something here.

Thanks in advance for any input
The sky is not the limit; The ground is!

Comments

• wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Yes you can do this as someone was asking about this, however I tried it at work from a fibre ST to a fibre ST on a PC NIC
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • xetrevxetrev Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you get anymore info on this pm me, i need to upgrade my IOS but i have to wait till my 1900 comes in. I will have pics of my 6 router lab later in the week.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes sir, you can connect your router eth port with cross-cbl. cant ping your router with the same mask ? have you configure your routing prot?
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    have you configure your routing prot?
    He's connecting his PC directly to his router. No routing protocol is needed for connectivity.
  • xman76xman76 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you do a no shutdown on the router's e0?
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xman76 wrote:
    Did you do a no shutdown on the router's e0?

Yes, if you want to bring the interface up.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • xman76xman76 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cybervex wrote:
    Both the PC and the router are configured on the same network and mask. I must be missing something here.

Well, it doesn't say he did it, and sometimes, it is the easy things we miss. Just making sure...