ICND1 and ICND2 exam topics? 2-Test CCNAs please help

ciscotech2007ciscotech2007 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know if subnetting is only on the ICND1 test? I have a freind who took the first CCNA exam and said there was many subnetting questions. Does anyone know if the ICND2 test goes over similar topics that were in the first or are the questions all new topics meaning there should be little to no subnetting questions.

Comments

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why take two exams when you can take one? CCNET is waste of time and rip off. If you study hard and know your basic cisco command, plus understanding the concept. CCNA is not that difficult. CCNP is a totally different story.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Kasor wrote:
    Why take two exams when you can take one? CCNET is waste of time and rip off. If you study hard and know your basic cisco command, plus understanding the concept. CCNA is not that difficult. CCNP is a totally different story.

Please explain why the two exam route is both a "waste of time" and a "rip off"...

To the OP. There will be subnetting in the second exam as well and you should know how to do it in your head and quickly.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Kasor wrote:

CCENT isn't a waste of time at all.. cisco also made the price the same if you go the 1 or 2 exam route.

What I liked about the CCENT was the focus on knowing the fundamentals, which a lot of network people forget about. It also gives you enough knowledge to configure a small business with cisco equipment without getting too heavy, perfect if you are just starting out.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    CCNET is waste of time and rip off. If you study hard and know your basic cisco command, plus understanding the concept. CCNA is not that difficult.

If you're going to post such blatant garbage in the CCNA forum, please provide reasoning to back it up.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kasor wrote:

I decide to take the 2 way track cause having a solid fundamentals will get my by with CCNP :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How is it a rip-off? It's the same price whether you take the ICND exams or the full-blown CCNA. It might be a different story if your only test center is four hours away or something...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Does anyone know if the ICND2 test goes over similar topics that were in the first or are the questions all new topics meaning there should be little to no subnetting questions.
    Check out the exam blueprints for the ICND1 and ICND2 exams on the Cisco CCNA page.

You get new topics in ICND2 that may require you to demonstrate your subnetting knowledge -- they just won't be as simple as the subnetting questions in ICND1. icon_rendeer.gif

In ICND1 you may
    Assign and verify valid IP addresses to hosts, servers, and networking devices
    in a LAN environment

and in ICND2 you may
    # Calculate and apply a VLSM IP addressing design to a network
    # Determine the appropriate classless addressing scheme using VLSM and 
    summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment

These are the big obvious subnetting related tasks -- but topics in either exam blueprint that mention address or addressing could be subnetting questions. icon_santa.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    Kasor wrote:

They way I look at it, if you fail one of the tests your just out $125 instead of $250. Thats one of the reasons I'm going with the two test. Not that I plan on failing. icon_smile.gif
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Kasor wrote:

Do you have personal experience to back these statements, if so, please do share. The NEW CCNA tests are among the toughest that Cisco has to offer at any level (except IE of course). There is a ton of material covered that is easily overwhelming to newcomers.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Does anyone know if subnetting is only on the ICND1 test? I have a freind who took the first CCNA exam and said there was many subnetting questions. Does anyone know if the ICND2 test goes over similar topics that were in the first or are the questions all new topics meaning there should be little to no subnetting questions.

ICND2 expands on ICND1 - there is a little overlap, but you really need to have a firm understanding of the basics (subnetting, subnetting, subnetting) in order to understand the deeper topics.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    jmc012 wrote:
    Kasor wrote:

They way I look at it, if you fail one of the tests your just out $125 instead of $250. Thats one of the reasons I'm going with the two test. Not that I plan on failing. icon_smile.gif
    Good point. I'm tempted to go the CCNA route sometime next year, but given then I'm a total noob when it comes to topics other than subnetting, I'm more apt to go for the two-exam path than the one exam so I can ease my way into it and not have the added pressure of the greater cost.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The single exam route was designed for those who have previous experience with Cisco equipment and want to quickly pass the CCNA. I have heard that the single exam is harder because all the material is packed in to less questions. Personally I would recommend the two exam route if you have limited or no Cisco experience. On the ICND2 I finished with ~1 minute remaining, there is a decent chance that if I had taken the single test I would have run out of time. Additionally, Cisco exams are very different from others I have taken so you may be doing yourself a disservice by taking the single exam if you are not familiar with the testing format. jmc012 also has a good point about cost of the exams.

The only advantage of taking the single exam over the two exams that I'm aware of is that you only need to go to the testing center once.

To answer ciscotech2007's question, I think you can safely assume that just about every CC** exam that you can take will require some knowledge of subnetting. Which is why I made sure that I could do subnetting in my head before heading into ICND1.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is the biggest topic covered in the exam? I'm gearing up to take the exam soon, I don't want to loose my money I already lost 375 $ in total with MCSE YAY!!!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    jbaello wrote:
    What is the biggest topic covered in the exam? I'm gearing up to take the exam soon, I don't want to loose my money I already lost 375 $ in total with MCSE YAY!!!
    Cisco's NDA is pretty harsh (doesn't allow for too much beyond saying "I passed!" icon_lol.gif) so I doubt anyone can really report details from their own personal experiences & most will probably point you to the exam topics/objectives list.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    What is the biggest topic covered in the exam?

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick, but this question is honestly asked here almost daily.

The topics covered on both ICND1 and ICND2 are clearly spelled out on Cisco's website, under the exam description / topics. If you know that material, you will pass the exam, simple as that.

Anyone who has taken the exam and tells you anything that was actually on the exam is breaking the NDA they agreed to before testing and IMO, should have their certification revoked.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jbaello wrote:
    There are 2 - Routing and Switching.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    mikej412 wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    There are 2 - Routing and Switching.

icon_lol.gif

I also have to agree, the exam blue print pretty much lays out everything you need to know. Good luck.
  • jeffjohnson23jeffjohnson23 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are looking for a job, you'll notice that employers are looking for CCENT and/or CCNA. You might as well get both.