70-620 Sim Questions ?????

babemag160babemag160 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I heard that M$ recently changed the test to include simulations. Has anyone taken this exam, and if so, what type of simulations have you seen? I have never taken an exam with sims so i'm kind of worried. When they ask you a question do you have to click everything in order or it's wrong? How do these sims work?

Thanks!

Comments

• NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont have any information on how the sims are graded or the details of them, I am studying for the 70-620 exam but two things I have come across on the forums is that you have the option to reset your sim if you feel that you have made too many clicks or taken to long and that the 70-620 exam has around 15 sims.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • babemag160babemag160 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay, that shouldn't be too bad. I was just afraid that if you don't click something just right, you will get that question wrong. Thanks!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    babemag160 wrote:
    I was just afraid that if you don't click something just right, you will get that question wrong.

Um, if they ask you do perform a task, and you don't do it correctly, it would probably be wrong. The sims are typically pretty basic. If you can do all the exercises in the book you're using, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Also, no one can tell you what the sims are on because that will violate MS' NDA. Just go through the objectives and make sure you can perform all those tasks: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-620.aspx
  • kmfinegan1kmfinegan1 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have read the MS Press book and went through the practice sections the sims should not be a big deal. I skipped the practice sections all together and found the sims to be very straight forward.

If you feel you are "clicking" though the sims too much you can always reset the sim and start over.
    In Progress 70-431
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    kmfinegan1 wrote:
    If you have read the MS Press book and went through the practice sections the sims should not be a big deal. I skipped the practice sections all together and found the sims to be very straight forward.

If you feel you are "clicking" though the sims too much you can always reset the sim and start over.
    Agreed - the MS press book's practices are more than adequate to prepare you for the sims you'll see come exam time. It's been nearly a year since I took mine, but I don't recall being thrown off by any of the sims. I didn't have 15 of them though, I think it's pretty rare to have that many in one exam; unless MS has changed up the exam format significantly over the course of the last year, I think it's just "luck of the draw" on how many sims you have.

I had no idea you could reset sims when I took my 620, but I've been told by many people that you can reset sims on MS exams. The test is linear/non-adaptive, so the questions you'll see won't depend on whether you did the sims or any other questions right, and you do have the opportunity to change your answers before completing the exam.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The sims you may see on the exam are fairly basic. If you read the book and play with the practices, you should have no problems. I had 5 or 6 on my exam if I remember right.
  • elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    As far as I'm aware, the sims just judge your success or failure based on the end result. It doesn't matter if you attempt to do something else half way through as long as you complete the task. Most sims have 4 or 5 settings that need to be made and I suspect all that happens is they check these settings have the correct value if when you click done. You'll find that if you try and do something totally random or miles off the mark in a sim it will tell you that the feature is unavailable in the simulation.
    Don't stress these too much, if you know how to do the activity in the real world then you'll be able to work the sims without any issue.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Remember if you're concerned you might have made a few wrong changes in the sim you can always reset it and then take the direct path. I personally love the simulations as they seem like free points to me. Only difficulty I've ever had with them is that sometimes the expected result is not as clear as it could/should be. That was rare though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • KunkelKunkel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had 8 or 9 out of 56 when I took my test a week ago. A friend had over 10 when he took his this week. We were both very supprised.
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    You should definately reset the sims if you feel you went around too much. I 'explored' the sims out of curiousity to see how far they would let you go and ended up a few points shy of passing though I am pretty sure that I knew most of what was being asked. My own fault.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ive heard upwards of 20 sims
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    15 on mine. I clicked around alot and just used the reset button after I was certain of the most direct route to the solution which seemed to work out well for me.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    I had 15 exactly. They were all very basic. If you do the practice labs in your book you'll be fine.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    Around 10 on mine. Very basic and the best thing about sims is, you can visually see what your doing.

In my eyes, it's easier than multiple answers which makes the certs easier to get which isn't quite what I thought exams were about. But in the other respect, it parts the guys who use dirty braindumps apart from the guys who know where to go and can think on their feet logically due to real world experience.
    mr2nut wrote: »
    Around 10 on mine. Very basic and the best thing about sims is, you can visually see what your doing.

In my eyes, it's easier than multiple answers which makes the certs easier to get which isn't quite what I thought exams were about. But in the other respect, it parts the guys who use dirty braindumps apart from the guys who know where to go and can think on their feet logically due to real world experience.

i agree. its definitely easier than multi choice. Sims are a great way to test someone's hands on knowledge.