Preparing for CCNA-Wireless - Maybe Off Topic?

Hello Everyone!

I'm in the middle of my CCNP studies and just started a new job. I was just told on friday that the main part of my responsibilities, at least in the short term, will be to get up to speed on wireless so that I can give the current wireless guy a hand. This is a very sophisiticated, large wireless deployment, but the equipment is 100% Cisco, so I am planning on going for the new CCNA-Wireless to help prep myself along with what I am already beginning to learn from their wireless guru. If I get hooked, I might go for the CWNA some point after my CCNP studies finish, but I'm planning to take a break in the middle of those for the CCNA-Wireless.

Have any of you good people taken the CCNA-Wireless or taken a look at it? The main issue I'm finding is that the resources for this exam are extremely sparse, most likely because it was just released this summer. I will probably need to use some of the CWNA resources out there to supplement the "rough cuts" version of the not-yet-release CCNA-Wireless exam guide. I'm thinking the CWNA CBT nuggets might be a good place to begin, but thought you all might have some good opinions to share.

In any case, I'm pretty excited to be getting deeper into wireless than I have in previous jobs. (Which basically involved deploying autonomous access points to conference rooms.) This place does VoIP phones on their wireless network, does their own wireless surveys and design, and is moving towards doing a ton of really cool things with RFID tags. :D

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Sounds like a blast for you congrats!! I have been doing a little work with wireless myself the past few months and it is very interesting. The book that was recommended to me by one of the guys who used to do wireless was 802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide by O'Reilly I have started to look through it in my spare time it is a really good book so that may help you as well.

I just checked as well look like cisco press is releasing their book on the 24th of this month maybe you should hit that up as well CCNA Wireless
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is only another week and a half before the official guide is released. I have already placed my pre-order and would be more than willing to give my impressions of this book once I get my copy of it.

CCNA Wireless Official Exam Certification Guide (CCNA IUWNE 640-721) (Exam Certification Guide) (Paperback)

There is a lot of speculation that the new CWNA PW0-104 material better prepares you for the CCNA Wireless due to it covering 802.11n. Since you will technically be preparing for the CWNA, there are many people on this forum that like the Sybex book for CWNA PW0-100. You may want to take a look at that book.

shednik wrote:
    Sounds like a blast for you congrats!!

I agree. I need to find myself a place that promotes continued learning...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    mamono wrote:
    I need to find myself a place that promotes continued learning...
    The amazing amount of competitive educational fervor that is here on TE should should certainly help you get started on any certification quests. Just pick out some member and say, "I can do better than that guy!" and focus on topping their achievements.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    mamono wrote:
    I need to find myself a place that promotes continued learning...
    The amazing amount of competitive educational fervor that is here on TE should should certainly help you get started on any certification quests. Just pick out some member and say, "I can do better than that guy!" and focus on topping their achievements.

I'd suggest starting with dtlokee icon_lol.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm personally gunnin' for mikej412 and eMeS myself. icon_eek.gif
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm personally gunnin' for mikej412 and eMeS myself. icon_eek.gif

I think I'll target mikej412, since I don't intend to go very far with Microsoft. My focus is Cisco, Juniper, and CWNP... Maybe some project management and infosec later...

Back on topic, another week before CWNP officially releases the new CWNA PW0-104 exam and materials. Seems convenient that both the Cisco Press CCNA Wireless book and the CWNA PW0-104 official study guide are released around the same time... I wonder how much emphasis of the CCNA Wireless is on their wireless capable routers vs. aironet AP's. I also wonder how long before a CCWP since they started beta testing the CCIE Wireless written tests as of Sept.
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    I'm almost ready to take my ISCW and then my life will become CCNA-Wireless. I've already got the book on my shelf and have read through several of the first chapters, primarily regarding RF, and wireless network topologies...pretty basic stuff so far. I'm thinking about getting a CWNA book or two as another resource to study from and also to keep myself from becoming completely Cisco-centric, although our network is completely Cisco, so that wouldn't be such a bad thing for work.

On another note...I've been working hard on a complex issue involving our WLSM on our autonomous network that's been kind of a "trial by fire" so far as learning about mobility. Wow. This ain't no "isolated AP in a conference room for internet access" wireless network!

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

• redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Just finished the ISCW, so I'm wireless 24/7 now! I'm starting with reading through the Cisco Press book for the CCNA-Wireless and I'm looking at the CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal videos for the CWNA thinking they would be good supplementary study sources. I've used them for my CCNP exams with good results, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the CWNA versions?

Thanks!

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

• joshgibson82joshgibson82 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    redwarrior wrote: »
    Just finished the ISCW, so I'm wireless 24/7 now! I'm starting with reading through the Cisco Press book for the CCNA-Wireless and I'm looking at the CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal videos for the CWNA thinking they would be good supplementary study sources. I've used them for my CCNP exams with good results, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the CWNA versions?

Thanks!

In My opinion, the CWNA will hold more market value than the CCNA-Wireless. It is more in depth and is vendor neutral. I bought the new CWNA book recently and so far have been very impressed with it.
    Josh, CCNP CWNA