Options

Need help with Virtual PC

I just downloaded Virtual PC from Microsoft. I don't know anything about Virtual PC, so if I ask stupid questions, please excuse me. Downloading it was easy, but I'm wondering about using Server 2003 on a virtual machine. I have the 120 day trial disk that came with the MS Press book, but I have already installed it on a different physical computer. My question is: Should I use that same 120 day trial disk to install Server 2003 on a virtual machine? In virtual pc, do you have to activate the operating system? I looked on Microsoft.com to see if they had a 120 day trial that I could download, so that I'd receive a different key than the key my 120 day trial has. I didn't see that version anywhere on the website. Hopefully this makes sense to everyone.

The reason I'm asking questions about Virtual PC here is because I figure that most people studying for the 291 have installed Virtual PC recently.
The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I haven't started messing around with Virtual PC myself yet, but I do have a MS link for downloading a 180-day trial edition of Server 2003 R2.

As for the other parts of your question, I'll leave that to folks with more info...anything else I say would just be me guessing!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe server gives you 60 or 90 days before you even have to activate it, so just skip that step and finish 291 before then ;)

Seriously though, the worse that's going to happen with multiple activations is that they won't accept it. Go ahead and give it a try. If it doesn't work, just work within the pre-activation period or get another trial from the link she posted.

If you have the money, consider getting a Technet subscription. $350/year ($250/year to renew), and you get all their products with no time trials or limitations.
  • Options
    Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    Thanks Dynamik and Skrpune for your input. I tried going to the link to download it, but instead of downloading it straight from the net, Microsoft wants to ship me the disk in the mail. I'll try Dynamik's idea first, and if I run into problems with that, then I guess I'll have the disk shipped. Knowing Microsoft, that could take awhile icon_lol.gif

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just downloaded the 180-day evaluation version from Microsoft last week. There's an option to have them email you a link for the download. You have to register for a Windows Live ID though. They're image files that you can burn to a CD. I used Active ISO Burner to burn the image files: http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    I just downloaded the 180-day evaluation version from Microsoft last week. There's an option to have them email you a link for the download. You have to register for a Windows Live ID though. They're image files that you can burn to a CD. I used Active ISO Burner to burn the image files: http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

I downloaded the image and then put server 2003 on my virtual machine, but the virtual machine started as if it was already installed, which is fine. However, when I was at the login screen, I had no idea what the password was because it just started at the login screen, and I have no chance to configure what the password would be.

• Options
    Nevermind I figured it out. Thanks!!! icon_redface.gif

• Options
    I want to activate this copy, but I didn't receive the activation key. I wonder why that is. I didn't receive an email or anything. Microsoft just let me download the ISO.