Test outline...

TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey, all. I'm creating a small test outline to cram for the exam which I am looking to take at the end of Jan.

Can you please help in suggesting some keypoints that are a MUST know for the exam?

OSI model, devices and their functions
TCP/IP
UDP
MS Server stuff
DHCP
DNS
ect.

I'm just looking for some help as I am having a brain fart listing things due to there being so much information learned. If anyone can suggest or add to my list please do so. Thank you for all your help.
Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.

Comments

• nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Go to CompTIA's website and use the objectives.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    +1 for checking out the objectives.

I would also just download the techexams.net technotes for the network+ This guide will help you a great way.

Know your fiber types and lenghts
    OSI Model is Key
    Few ports
    Apple
    Novell
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    nevolved wrote:
    Go to CompTIA's website and use the objectives.
    Not to be snarky, but I totally agree with nevolved here. Every test is different, so what was "critical" or heavy on one test may not even be covered on another. My personal experience tells me to advise that exam takers know *everything* in the objectives.

My test had questions on just about every topic listed in the objectives, and then some. You know how they say that the objectives are merely an outline of the exam topics and not an all-inclusive list? Well, they mean it - some stuff's not included in that list and I got a couple questions on subject matter that wasn't even touched upon or mentioned in my study resources (and I used multiple books and study guides from this site & multiple study guides from ProProfs, as well as lots of googling).

All that being said, if I had to add to your list, I'd also put on:
    - subnetting - not just how to do it, but also what it means in terms of your network & what it can/can't do
    - VPNs
    - cabling
    - wireless
    - Linux/Novell/Apple
    - troubleshooting resources/tools/techniques
    - WANs
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    FYI: Subnetting is not part of the Network+ exam and is not something you need to know for this exam. If you move onto the CCENT or CCNA exam then subnetting is key.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    ULWiz wrote:
    FYI: Subnetting is not part of the Network+ exam and is not something you need to know for this exam. If you move onto the CCENT or CCNA exam then subnetting is key.

I have to disagree. It was on my exam on more than one question and in more than one capacity - without giving away too much detail, I had both direct "compute this" type questions as well as indirect questions where you were given info about different subnets & had to figure out info from there.

I've heard of some people having no subnetting questions, but I've also heard of some people having quite a few subnetting questions. So unless all the subnetting questions fall under the category of ungraded questions that don't count towards you're score, subnetting definitely is within the scope of the Network+ and in most cases will be seen on the exam in at least one question.

I am sure some more people will agree with me about my post.

Subnetting has never been a Network+ Objective and is still not listed on the objective list as of today. Subnetting is way beyond the scope of the network+ exam.

Your opinion is valued but i still think your wrong.

Guess we have to wait for a few member to comment on this thread
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    ULWiz wrote:
    I am sure some more people will agree with me about my post.

Subnetting has never been a Network+ Objective and is still not listed on the objective list as of today. Subnetting is way beyond the scope of the network+ exam.

Your opinion is valued but i still think your wrong.

Guess we have to wait for a few member to comment on this thread
    I'm sure some people *will* agree that they didn't see subnetting or calculation of subnets on their exam. Every exam is different, so it's entirely possible that there are those out there who didn't see it at all, but there are some who've reported several subnetting questions. I do agree with you on the point that the ins & outs of subnetting aren't specifically included in the objectives, but "2.7 Identify the purpose of subnetting" is included in the objectives, and the objectives are merely an outline & not an all inclusive list of everything you will see on the exam.

We can disagree on what we believe is a part of the exam objectives & whether that means questions on topics not specifically included are graded or not, but we'll never know for sure on that last part. But one thing I know for a fact is that subnetting was on my exam in multiple questions and on the exams for many other people too.

That being said, if someone were to be weak on subnetting or completely not cover it at all, it's not like it's going to tank them on the Network+ exam (whereas it would probably equal sure disaster on a Cisco exam). I don't think subnetting is a topic critical to passing the Network+ exam, but it should be critical to someone who really wants to learn about networking and have a future in it as it's so widely used...and to truly understand the purpose of subnetting, one should really know how to subnet & what the implications of subnetting are & the problems that can arise with incorrect/messy subnetting.

I agree that you might have to know what subnetting does for you on a network, but in my opinion that is all you need for this exam.

Just wondering if anyone actually saw subnetting questions on their Network+ exam

Anyone want to weigh in on this topic?
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress