Options

Trying to decide on a GPS Device

nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide on a GPS (low to mid range) device. I've really started focusing in on the Garmin Nuvi 500 or Nuvi 550. The only difference I see between the two is that the 500 has topographic maps, and maps of the lower 48 states. That is in comparison to the 550 which has maps of all of North America, Hawaii, Mexico, Canada, and Alaska. I can get the 500 for 291 vs the 550 for 269 on Amazon, and I have free shipping. I really would like the topographic feature, but I don't know if maybe there is a way to get that on the 550 as an add on.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I personally have a TomTom and its does its job as long as its not super cloudy and raining at the same time. For some reason it wont pick up reception through all that crap not sure how others are.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Garmin all the way...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    I've got a Garmin 200W that I've been very pleased with. Altitude at any point at the touch of a button. topo, schmopo. icon_wink.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I had a Garmin and it was great. However the reception not so much... Not sure if it's my area but it would take a good 5 minutes of driving before it would get any reception.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    How about a GPS in your next cell phone? The VZ Navigator feature in my Verizon BlackBerry Storm works great.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I have a TomTom and a Navigon. My father has a Garmin. My Navigon had some issues at first, but I have to say I thought it was the best of the three once those issues were resolved. The option to put a picture of the interchanges on interstates as you would see them is a godsend. Also, you can often find deals on the Navigons that include traffic updates for the life of the product for the same money as a Garmin or TomTom. The newer software they include now and provided as a free update for mine is a lot easier to update the firmware, etc., so that's taken care of, too.

I bought Navigons more recently as gifts for other family members, and they don't suffer from the issue I had with mine that Navigon fixed for free, all work fine aside from some slow signal acquisitions that most $200 and under GPS's have, and it's not terrible, just could be a bit faster. My TomTom One and father's Garmin aren't any better in that regard.

So I'd include Navigon in your shopping, too.
    Good luck to all!