My little iPhone told me I am RICH!!!!

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
I donno if this was already posted, but I saw this on CNN this morning and couldn't help but squirt milk out my nose.

Apple's iPhone-App-Approval Mouse Falls Off Treadmill: Buy The $1000 App That Does Nothing (AAPL)

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/8/apple-s-iphone-app-approval-mouse-falls-off-treadmill-buy-the-1000-app-that-does-nothing-aapl-

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Its actually quite an old story as you can see by the website post. Not sure why CNN only just found out about it.

People claimed that they thought it was a big joke by Apple and that they were just playing around when they clicked buy and then typed in their password. They're either really dumb or trying to use that as a lame excuse to get out of paying.

I don't have a problem with the app. The appstore very clearly states that it cost you $999.99 to buy. Apple pulled it because of the bad PR and complaints. No idea if the people who did buy it got a refund.

I'm doubtful about the number of people they say that actually bought the app as well. At one point you could comment on an app without actually buying it (might still be like this) and people assumed 8 from the number of comments.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ah. The author actually confirmed 8 purchases. When it was on the app store, people were guessing how many based on the number of complaints.

Wonder if the guy got his cash in the end. Its a neat trick IMO if he did manage to get it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you seen the fart app? It pulls in $10k/day and made $40k in two days over Christmas icon_eek.gif
    Yeah. Millions of really bored iPhone/iPod touch owners out there with a juvenile sense of humor and a few bucks spare. Apple actually banned that sort of app until recently.

Again, all the best to the author. They found a niche and they're making their $$$. They've got their "5 minutes of fame" at the moment and should exploit it for all its worth whilst they still can.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I like the guys who made the Ocarina app, they pulled in something like $400k in less than a month. :)