*New TE Forum Features - How do I?*

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
This topic is a place holder for your question about how to use the new forums. I suggest you first take a look at your forum profile, available through the User CP option at the left in the top menu above.

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Can this thread be used for general feedback?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Yes, absolutely. I still have a good amount of tweaking to do in terms of looks, but I rather hear as much now instead of afterwards.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I was wondering what was going on, until dynamik filled me in. So far I like the new design Johan!!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ya'll will probably want to go to the UserCP -> edit options and set your time zone
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looking good, Johan!

How many hours were you going straight? I know you were going before I got up and after I went to sleep icon_eek.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh thank heavens... A search button that actually does something real.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A much better forum to use, well done all!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I love the new forums with one exception...How do I put the User/Signature on the left instead of having it take up so much additional vertical space?
    brad- wrote: »
    I love the new forums with one exception...How do I put the User/Signature on the left instead of having it take up so much additional vertical space?

That's a theme change that he's working on. That was my big complaint as well.

He had his hand's full yesterday, so I'm sure there's going to be a few minor things that'll be ironed out over the next few days.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One thing I'd change is the bold for all the topic titles when you browse a forum. It's a bit too strong.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OVerall, great change! I'll hold my suggestions until I have a few days to tinker with it; that is, if I have any, because really this is all free for us, and I can't complain too much :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Mishra wrote: »

Where do you see it being sorted the wrong way? If you go into a forum? You can change which way its sorted by clicking on the header. The default looks right (to me anyway).
    Try the 'IT Jobs / Degrees ' forum

Even if I change the sort it will default back.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Mishra wrote: »
    Try the 'IT Jobs / Degrees ' forum

Even if I change the sort it will default back.

Yep same issue here.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    The IT Jobs/Degrees forum and the iNet+ (who cares icon_lol.gif) are misconfigured for the default sorting. All the other ones are correct.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I noticed you can go under User CP -> Options and at the bottom of the page you can change your message editor to include more features (ie: bold, underline, etc)
  • ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    Okay. I'm digging the new look. A couple of questions about the visual stuff.

1. The little colored circle. Some are green, some are blue. (this is a visual reference...i got the online offline part)
    And next to/under it, it gives senior member or junior member...What qualifies you to be either.
    (i'm sure its the # of replies or time you've been a member, but how many, or how long)

2. Some just say member. And I've seen one that says "wannabe dynamic" and another that says "tux racer".
    At first I thought this was auto-generated content, but maybe its user created???

I love the site by the way. You guys helped me get my first Certification just this past monday. MCP (70-270). The technotes Rock.
    (I printed them all off individually...the PDF with all of them together would rock even more so)

P.S.
    I was feeling like an addict yesterday when the site was down. I kept logging in over and over again...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    1. The little colored circle. Some are green, some are blue.
    Online and Offline.
    And next to/under it, it gives senior member or junior member...What qualifies you to be either.
    Number of posts I believe.
    Some just say member. And I've seen one that says "wannabe dynamic" and another that says "tux racer".
    It defaults to blah member but you can set your own in options.
  • ThunderPipeThunderPipe Member Posts: 120
    I just noticed some of the answers to some of the questions. thank you. I feel dumb.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Definately like the new site. I felt so lost last night not having this site around.
    Happy to see it was up again this morning.

And I am a Senior Member. That makes me feel Special.

Happy New Year Everyone.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Here's the link to the vBulletin v3.7 online manual, but so far I've found it rather lacking in the detail I've needed: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/introduction
    Thank for the encouraging words and support all!!
    dynamik wrote: »
    Looking good, Johan!

How many hours were you going straight? I know you were going before I got up and after I went to sleep icon_eek.gif
    Thanks. I looked at the clock earlier today after Mike suggested some sleep and it was 5 min from the same time I woke up... just a day later. I'll probably remain a bit slow for the rest of the day. ;)

That's a theme change that he's working on. That was my big complaint as well.

He had his hand's full yesterday, so I'm sure there's going to be a few minor things that'll be ironed out over the next few days.
    Indeed, for some reason vBulletin shows posts in this modern style (good example of that style is expertexchange.com), but that will be changed to make it look similar to how it was. Meaning author info on the left and not above the post. I'll continue with tweaking the looks over the next few days. This include the bold titles of topic titles in the list.
    One of the last things I knew I had to do before taking a nap is setting the sort order for all the forums - no surprise I missed a few. I just updated those two forums. Not showing all posts is default behavior to save resources (i.e. when search engine bots crawl only the newest are included) something I'm not worried about since our new server is really overkill. Oh and the sort order is a setting in the User CP too.
    2. Some just say member. And I've seen one that says "wannabe dynamic" and another that says "tux racer".
    At first I thought this was auto-generated content, but maybe its user created???
    Yeah, that's the Title, which is now customizable. The jr/sr member thing is the ranking (comparable to the 1-5 stars in our old forums). That will be changed as currently I think only 30 posts would result in Sr. I actually made the user title customizable to get rid of that distinction. We'll make up something more meaningful-but-casual later on.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Here's the link to the vBulletin v3.7 online manual, but so far I've found it rather lacking in the detail I've needed: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/introduction

Also check out the FAQ in our own vB install:
    http://new.techexams.net/forums/faq.php (link to this FAQ is at the bottom right of all forum pages.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some changes like not being able to see certs under the username is kinda depressing now. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    Some changes like not being able to see certs under the username is kinda depressing now. :D
    Yeah those will be listed on the left as before when I finished tweaking the templates (today or tomorrow). Another nice benefit of vBulletin is the ability to search the member list on those fields.
    There you go, back to legacy thread display. As you can probably see it needs a little tweaking, some parts don't always align properly - working on that right now.
    webdev.gif

Ever use the web development plug-in for Firefox? Makes things like this a lot easier.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

To highlight the block elements, just go to outline > outline current element.
    I'm going to revert back to the new style and work on a copy of the templates so you won't all notice every little change (and mistake ;)) I make till it's ready.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote: »
    I'm going to revert back to the new style and work on a copy of the templates so you won't all notice every little change (and mistake ;)) I make till it's ready.

Awww, there goes the entertainment of watching someone else making mistakes. *puts the popcorn away*
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks