Options

Free MS Press books

rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

I found out firsthand a few months ago that it's possible to get free MS Press books. My company has a VLA with microsoft and apparently as part of the VLA, we get free MS Press books from our rep. I paid for an expensed my first 4 books for MCSE without realizing this, but our rep shipped me books for 70-293, 70-294, & 70-298 when asked.

If you're in a similar situation, get yourself some free books!

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    If you don't have a VLA, you can still get free ebooks from MSPress just by signing up for the MSPress monthly newsletter. Just update your subscription preferences at https://profile.microsoft.com/RegsysProfileCenter/SubCntDefault.aspx

You don't get to choose what you get, but they give you a different book every month. I used the Windows Server 2008 Networking and Network Access Protection (NAP), book from the November newsletter for my 649 studies.
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Claymoore wrote:
    If you don't have a VLA, you can still get free ebooks from MSPress just by signing up for the MSPress monthly newsletter. Just update your subscription preferences at https://profile.microsoft.com/RegsysProfileCenter/SubCntDefault.aspx

You don't get to choose what you get, but they give you a different book every month. I used the Windows Server 2008 Networking and Network Access Protection (NAP), book from the November newsletter for my 649 studies.

Why am I just now learning about this? icon_evil.gif
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Claymoore wrote: »

Free is good.
    Signed up, thanks for the heads up.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    haha crap. I wish I knew this 500 bucks ago.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    rhelt100 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I found out firsthand a few months ago that it's possible to get free MS Press books. My company has a VLA with microsoft and apparently as part of the VLA, we get free MS Press books from our rep. I paid for an expensed my first 4 books for MCSE without realizing this, but our rep shipped me books for 70-293, 70-294, & 70-298 when asked.

If you're in a similar situation, get yourself some free books!

VLA? Volume License Agreement?

I just started at a company that does have volume licenses on some of their software. Who do you talk to at MS about this? (Basically all the old IT people have either quit or been let go so I have no one to ask around here.)
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Talk to whoever is in charge of licensing in your company. Someone there is in charge of purchasing licenses etc.. Then just ask that person who your Microsoft rep is.
  • Options
    RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Great! Thanks didn't know about this.. Will hit our MS Rep up when I get back from leave :D
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    This thread is already number five on google for the search of "free ms press books".
  • Options
    RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Microsoft here in New Zealand and Australia have said that this is not the case and the above information is incorrect icon_sad.gif No books for me icon_sad.gif
    Apologies on the delay on this, it has been doing quite a few rounds internally. It appears that the website is incorrect in that these are not available for free. I believe the Microsoft team are now looking to get this rectified as it is misleading site and not a Microsoft endorsed site or comment – thanks for bringing it to our attention.

icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif