Oldest CCIE

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
Anyone know what's the oldest age one has obtained a CCIE - for the first time? I know some have obtained a second, third, etc, CCIE later in life, but I was wondering what's the oldest anyone has been who decided to finally get that CCIE to begin with?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I find these questions so childish, its only an exam.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    EdTheLad wrote:
    I find these questions so childish, its only an exam.

Thank you for that incisive comment.

If you think it's childish, ignore it instead of creating a contentious thread.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I dont think its childish but a better question could be "What is the age of the oldest newly IT Certified?" Incorporating all certs.

We always hear about the 13 Year Olds doing MCP's but what about the older boys & gals who continue to prove its never to late to learn icon_wink.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Check this thread here

http://ieoc.com/forums/t/4112.aspx

Some people in their 50s going for it. As long as you are young at heart ;)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hope it turns out to be Turgon ;)
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Sie wrote:
    I dont think its childish but a better question could be "What is the age of the oldest newly IT Certified?" Incorporating all certs.

We always hear about the 13 Year Olds doing MCP's but what about the older boys & gals who continue to prove its never to late to learn icon_wink.gif

I worked at a school before and had volunteers come in to help with computer repairs/cleaning. One guy came in who had been retired for 10 years (probably was in his late 60s) and just wanted to keep learning.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As long as the motivation and desire for learning is still there, age should not matter. I have seen people in their twenties with far less motivation than some in their 70's.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

crunchy - is that worldcom's bernie in your photo? he's probably using his spare time in prison studying for ccie. he'll need a few certs.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think Cisco keeps these types of statistics. As Ed said, it's only an exam. If you want to go for your CCIE, don't worry about what other people have done or are doing and do what you want. The CCIE will be a good investment of your time and suprisingly you don't really need to give up your life to do it. Slow and steady wins the race here, 1 hour a day for 2 years and you're good to go.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    crunchy - is that worldcom's bernie in your photo? he's probably using his spare time in prison studying for ccie. he'll need a few certs.

I actually don't know the guy's name. Only that he's the one who is credited for inventing the cellphone. I think he worked in Bell Labs in the early 70s. This was supposed to be the first working cellphone (I guess it was too early for clamshell options).
  • EMcCalebEMcCaleb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone know what's the oldest age one has obtained a CCIE - for the first time? I know some have obtained a second, third, etc, CCIE later in life, but I was wondering what's the oldest anyone has been who decided to finally get that CCIE to begin with?

There was a gentleman who taught at Netmasters named Fred Ingham (sp?). He had an outstanding sense of humour and proclaimed himself to be the worlds oldest CCIE. He appeared to be in his early 70s at that point. I'm not sure how old he was when he acquired it. My guess would be in his 60s. According to Caslow, Fred has retired. The dude was an absolute wizard when it came to anything having to do with bridging. He could do canonical to non-canonical in his head. He referred to it as a "party trick".

Ernest
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess there is hope for everyone!

Happy New Year!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

I met one of the four founding fathers of the Internet and he is around seventy years and counting. That man is one intelligent person still personally amazed at his age that he has the drive to learn and push running a company.

Just goes to show age does not matter its the person.