10,000 Page Challenge

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
That's my goal for my 2009 IT reading. It breaks down to about 27.4 pages per day, which doesn't look too bad. I think consistency is going to be the hardest part; it seems like it would be easy to fall behind quickly.

Anyone else in? :D

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll go for the 10,000 server challenge. I will have built 10,000 servers by the end of the year.

27 servers a day! I should be good.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Count me in. I tend to read about 150+ pages a day at work, what else are you going to do when you're a security guard lol. I also read about 50 pages on the weekends + labs.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    *backs slowly out of topic*
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    icon_eek.gif WOW, not sure I can commit to 10,000 pages, but I think I can do about 5,000. I figure between the next couple exams I take and the classes I am slated for this year, I can definitely get to at least 4-5,000 pages in.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hopefully rereading counts too. The 70-620 MS Press book is about 800 pages and I plan on reading it cover to cover 2 more times.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I am definately all for this challenge. I currently read about a chapter a day and would say the chapters average about 20 to 50 pages.

If i dont hit the 10k in pages i am hoping to attain the following 3 certs this year instead.

291 left for MCSA 2003
    CCENT
    CCNA

Best of luck to all who join the challenge
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I figured dynamik would go for the 10,000 certs in one year challenge.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    dynamik, how do you do all this stuff and stay married? icon_scratch.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thats a steep mountain to climb... I was thinking more like 1000 hours of studying (which would include reading, CBT's, practice tests, and labs)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does reading TE count?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Hopefully rereading counts too. The 70-620 MS Press book is about 800 pages and I plan on reading it cover to cover 2 more times.

Sure, as long as you're actually reading and not just skimming highlights.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    dynamik, how do you do all this stuff and stay married? icon_scratch.gif

She plays WoW; I have plenty of time icon_lol.gif
    snadam wrote: »
    thats a steep mountain to climb... I was thinking more like 1000 hours of studying (which would include reading, CBT's, practice tests, and labs)

Dude, I think that's worse. That's about 2.75 hours/day. icon_eek.gif
    dtlokee wrote: »
    Does reading TE count?

No ;)
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I may try this :)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hum... I guess if I cut down to only 10000 pages a year I could fill all that empty time with TV icon_razz.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Hum... I guess if I cut down to only 10000 pages a year I could fill all that empty time with TV icon_razz.gif

I think I am in the same boat as you Mike.

Dynamik - I will play your little game.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Dude, I think that's worse. That's about 2.75 hours/day. icon_eek.gif
    More
    I dunno, I normally study about 20 Hrs/week during peak study times, which equates to 1,040 hrs/year. So while the time fluctuates, I think its doable. We will see if Im up to the challenge.

I just cant fathom reading 10k pages THEN doing other study methods...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    IMO, I don't know if that's a goal that's worthwhile. Rather read 5,000 pages and completely, thoroughly understand it then pushing myself to read 10,000 pages.

I'm all about making goals like, "will become proficient in X, Y, and Z" than commit to a sheer amount of reading.
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    IMO, I don't know if that's a goal that's worthwhile. Rather read 5,000 pages and completely, thoroughly understand it then pushing myself to read 10,000 pages.

I'm all about making goals like, "will become proficient in X, Y, and Z" than commit to a sheer amount of reading.

So you're saying that you can't thoroughly understand something if you set a goal of reading and studying 27 pages a day?
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you're saying that you can't thoroughly understand something if you set a goal of reading and studying 27 pages a day?

If you are reading 27 pages a day on a specific piece of technology for something such as a Master's certification, then sure. But reading 27 pages of different stuff, then "thoroughly" understanding an "entire" piece of technology, then nope. For instance, with Exchange, you can read MUCH more than 10,000 pages of stuff on it. Even then, you still wouldn't "thoroughly" understand ALL of Exchange.

It's all relative as to how you look at it.

And also, most people who plan on going after the amount of certs dynamik is planning on, they would forget most of it since they are reading so much on so many different things, your brain would have an extremely hard time remembering a lot of material. If dynamik can remember most of it, the more power to him. Perhaps his IQ is that high that he'll remember most of it. And even if he doesn't, he'll still have a better understanding of most of the technologies so it'd still be more valuable than if he/someone didn't do it at all.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    royal wrote: »
    If dynamik can remember most of it, the more power to him. Perhaps his IQ is that high that he'll remember most of it.
    I dunno, I don't think IQ has much to do with memory. I'm not trying to comment on any person's intelligence, but I think that being able to remember things read has little to do with intelligence. Being able to *apply* things remembered is a truer sign of intelligence.

For example, someone who has a photographic memory isn't necessarily more intelligent than someone without one...it just means that visual images/words are stored better and they can pull up the "data" more effectively. But being able to recall or restate information isn't a sign of high intelligence. What you DO with the things you know/read/remember is much more important.

I think this goes without saying, but reading coupled with doing is probably the most effective method of learning with the goal of long term retention of information. Something tells me that dynamik's going to be backing up that impressive reading goal with an equally impressive goal of doing/practice to make sure that the info sticks.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    I think setting a goal is not a bad thing, I think it's too borad of a statement to make and say someone can't fully understand something by reading 27 pages per day. I don't really see that thoroughly understanding something also equates to remembering it forever. I don't use my CCVP knowledge on a daily basis but when I did study for it I beleived I had a thorough understanding of it, at this point 3 years later it's a different story. Same for my MCSE. The thing that scares me is when I go into a company and work with their server groups and find out that my "weak" Microsoft skills exceed their "Senior" people.

On another note - I don't think anyone will "thoroughly understand" Exchange.
  • lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    Woah, this isnt a hard challenge at all in my situation. I'll double that challenge.
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Reading and even remembering it is one thing. Comprehending what you're reading at a very high level, so that you can apply knowledge gained from reading is something very different. IQ pertains to the latter. And that's what I'm interested in, not amassing a vast amount of knowledge that I can't comprehend and apply at a very high level.

That's sorta my point. You could do either of the above by reading 10,000 pages in a year. It's better to aim for deep understanding of something than to read a boatload which may or may not result in a deep understanding.
    Good luck to all!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ya, that's more of what I meant with the high IQ. Reading, remembering, and being able to take the knowledge that you have read about and being able to dynamically think about situations with all that you have read and apply the knowledge even after you have read all of that material.
    On another note - I don't think anyone will "thoroughly understand" Exchange.

Aint that the truth.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Reading and even remembering it is one thing. Comprehending what you're reading at a very high level, so that you can apply knowledge gained from reading is something very different. IQ pertains to the latter. And that's what I'm interested in, not amassing a vast amount of knowledge that I can't comprehend and apply at a very high level.

That's sorta my point. You could do either of the above by reading 10,000 pages in a year. It's better to aim for deep understanding of something than to read a boatload which may or may not result in a deep understanding.

I agree with that point
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    If I include all the research reports I need to read for this upcoming semester I can probably do this before June.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If I end up getting a job I'm scheduled for my final interview next Friday, then I should be easily beating 10,000 pages in 2009 since I'll be training and certifying essentially full-time for a year while applying that knowledge to real-world scenarios.

Count me in, hopefully!

Now if we are counting non-technical materials, I'll probably exceed 20,000 pages in 09 with the completion of my B.S., ugh!
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    KGhaleon wrote: »
    *backs slowly out of topic*

Right behind you. I wish I could read that much. My brain is so used to the imagery that tv provides that staring at text in a book is difficult. I really wish my parents instilled the joy of reading when I was a kid. My babysitter was the tv.
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm game, count me in.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I first thought Dynamik may have chosen 10,000 posts but he needs some type of challange i guess!!

I wont put my name down for 10,000 but I do intend to read as much as I can this year as always.

Good luck to those that do.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    good luck to all of you.

My goal/challenge for 2009 is - to get done what I can get done.

Ohh and for those doing a lot of reading and travelling:-

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-ebook
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.