Love the New Techexams.net Forum

ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
I must say that the changes that have occured on this board last night where amazing. The features that are now available to the members are quite cool. Keep up the good work.
CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
Cisco CCENT In Progress
MCP Server 291 In Progress
C|EH In Progress

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks :D Besides the features for users there's a lot of handy stuff on the admin site as well, let me see if the thread merge feature works ;)

and splitting off again... :D
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I see there is only a few admins. Was just wondering if these where personal buddies of yours or if they where eventually asked to become a moderator/admin?
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    ULWiz wrote: »
    I see there is only a few admins. Was just wondering if these where personal buddies of yours or if they where eventually asked to become a moderator/admin?
    We were Shanghaied. Johan said there was free ice cream and dark beer. The next thing I knew I was in shackles and in front of a keyboard. It's been years...
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also like the new format of the forum. I was starting to get bored of the one before :)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WHAT??? Johan offered you BEER? I only got offered drop
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love the new forum too, here's an idea - how about broadening the range of "Off-Topic" forums, such as adding one for hardware discussion, one for software discussion, maybe even politics, cars, sports, etc. I think people would spend a lot more time here if there was more choice of conversation.

Of course the focus should always be strongly on IT certification, but as an aside it would be great to see contributions to the other IT-related subject areas from all the great people who post on this forum!
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    In vBulletin, it is possible to have sub-forums, and I believe we'll be looking into using them for the Microsoft and Cisco forums, and I can see a use for them in Off Topic as well.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I pray to god that you guys don't start excessively start creating a bunch of forums (including subforums). One of the reasons I came to TE and left other sites is because they started to excessively create unnecessary forums. Seriously additional Off-Topic forums?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My only gripe so far is that when you click the "New Posts" link, the forum name column is on the right, and it's not sortable. If I could sort on that column or display it to the left of the thread titles, I'd be a happy camper.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'm loving the new forums too, but I seem to be having a problem today with actually signing in...sometimes I have to try several times or click the "click here if your browser doesn't automatically redirect you" link. Anyone else having issues? (I'm using FF3)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    skrpune wrote: »
    I'm loving the new forums too, but I seem to be having a problem today with actually signing in...sometimes I have to try several times or click the "click here if your browser doesn't automatically redirect you" link. Anyone else having issues? (I'm using FF3)

Are you still coming via: http://new.techexams.net/forums/?

You can use http://techexams.net/forums/ now. It's probably because it's a different domain if you are doing that. Otherwise, I don't know. Everything is fine for me with FF3.
    Thanks again for the comments all, I will go over them again later to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm still in the process of fixing some essential stuff (ie. exam engine).
    royal wrote: »
    I pray to god that you guys don't start excessively start creating a bunch of forums (including subforums). One of the reasons I came to TE and left other sites is because they started to excessively create unnecessary forums. Seriously additional Off-Topic forums?
    Don't worry, that won't be the case. I think the Forum Index is already getting quite large and I want to use the sub forums option to reduce it (i.e. 1 CCNA forum with sub forums for voice, sec, wireless, 1 A+ etc) and probably more or less what we once discussed by PM.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote: »
    Are you still coming via: http://new.techexams.net/forums/?

You can use http://techexams.net/forums/ now. It's probably because it's a different domain if you are doing that. Otherwise, I don't know. Everything is fine for me with FF3.
    interesting, I wasn't on "new.techexams..." but as soon as I dropped the "www" it started to work just fine.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Don't worry, that won't be the case. I think the Forum Index is already getting quite large and I want to use the sub forums option to reduce it (i.e. 1 CCNA forum with sub forums for voice, sec, wireless, 1 A+ etc) and probably more or less what we once discussed by PM.

I would agree that the forum index has gotten quite large. But again, even with sub-forums, please only create the essentials as that will keep down on forums altogether in addition to reducing the forum index size. For example, yes we can have one off-topic forum but the discussion of multiple off-topic subforums is bad "in my opinion." It still adds to additional unnecessary forums.

I think a combination of bare essential forums/subforums to allow collaborative discussions is a good thing and not just creating subforums to further categorize discussion topics that aren't necessary.

But you get my point. You've done a good job on TE so I trust you even though what I stated above is just my opinion. :)
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Has anyone else tried the new site from Firefox? Or from a Mac?

When I use Firefox v3.0.5 native on my Mac I am unable to login to the site. I enter the userid and password, it accepts them and takes me back to the login page.

I'm accessing the site currently through IE on VMWare.

MS
    Firefox 3 works fine here.
    eMeS wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried the new site from Firefox? Or from a Mac?

When I use Firefox v3.0.5 native on my Mac I am unable to login to the site. I enter the userid and password, it accepts them and takes me back to the login page.

I'm accessing the site currently through IE on VMWare.

MS

Works for me with Mac+Safari. I've been in that loop early on though when I was going through the ip and temp url, I'm pretty sure it's cookie related. Have you tried using techexams.net/forums without the www? I still need to look at that, but have a couple of other things with higher priority right now so I apologize if this causes and inconvenience - I know login problems can be annoying ;)

@Royal: I entirely agree with you. And as you know Off-Topic itself isn't even a very suitable name for our Off-Topic forum. It kinda means 'off the IT certification topic, but still tech related'. There are obviously exceptions. We considered before to change it to for example TechTalk, and perhaps a separate one for Tech Problems or something, but that will likely create a demand for a place for real Off-topic subjects (For example, I think the 'call' to go out and vote was handled well). We'll give that some more thought soon once everything is fixed.

I guess, the short version about the sub forums and additional forums is simply: just because we can doesn't mean we should. Basically, I'm going to create some new subcategories not subforums. And of course nothing will be set in stone. Based on usage and thread/post count we can always change it.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I love lamp.
    Good luck to all!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    FF3 works fine here
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...