CCNA Scheduled Jan 05

networking247networking247 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone - New to the forum and this is my first post!

I just registered for the CCNA 640-802 on Jan 05 - in the morning. I have been studying for a long time and just got done doing the boson virtual labs. I am overwhelmed with all the material.

Any tips on what to emphasize on to study? Is there a strong concentrated area on the test?

Also, I heard you cannot skip questions on the test, is this true?

Any advice would be great - I am all ears!

Hopefully you will be getting a pass follow up!

Thanks everyone and hope to be posting away soon,

Comments

• NullCodeNullCode Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well you can skip a question, but you cannot get back to it. You can not change your answer once you press "Next". You need a lot of practive ( i got about 4 sims, when i took my CCNA) with the labs.(i used PacketTracer and GNS3).
    Good luck , and hope you will start the year with the topic "I PASSED CCNA".
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Welcome to the forums, and good luck on the exam!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    know the command and read the question. It is not that difficult. Good Luck.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Good luck, keep an eye on the clock and stay clam, try and spend no more than 10 - 12 minutes on the simulations otherwise you will run out of time.
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Scheduled mine for the 9th! Looking forward to it too. I've been studying since Dec 1st & I feel I've got it all pretty well down. From now until then I'm just keeping it fresh and doing sim's over and over again. :)

Good luck to you bro!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kasor wrote: »
    know the command and read the question. It is not that difficult. Good Luck.

It's not? It was for me. I knew the stuff very well, but the simulations kicked my arse. My fault for learning with real equipment I guess. Now I took the old test, so the simlets might be easier to figure out nowadays. But I doubt it.

I'll admit it might be easier for you younger guys. I've been out of school since 1980 and so I'm not as good at test-taking as I could be.

Anyhow, good luck with the exam Net247 and GenX!

:)
  • networking247networking247 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    genXrcist - Good luck on your's too. I have been studying for months and have been doing a lot hands on and just finished reading Lammle's book and doing the Boson net sim practice exams. The only thing that's got me a little stumped is VLSM and Frame/ISDN config. I hope I don't get too many Sims regarding those topics.

Netwurk - I have most experience with basic setups and not too much WAN experience since I have always done lan and had managed circuits. I am cramming even more this weekend with tons of practice labs. I hope Monday I get to shoot that big **IPASSED REPLY**

Thanks !
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Good luck on the test! Just stay focused, and be mindful of the time. Only spend a maximum of 10 minutes on a sim no matter what.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Goodluck to both of you, I'm scheduled on the 18th and that's just ICND1 been studying for 3 months on and off, I might schedule earlier, and I must say I am excited with CCNA, I cannot wait what's hidden underneath the CCNA:Security.
    Looking forward to that post as well!

Thanks for the well wishes Net247 & jbaello, and of course best of luck to the both of you as well!

I prep'd by watching the CBT Nugget videos and then reading the corresponding section in Todd Lammle's 6 Ed book as well. Went through the practice exams, written labs and hands on labs using the Titanium ed. of Virtual Labs. I also got a 2600 router and a 3500XL switch just to get the "feel" of a real router/switch. For some reason it's just so much cooler to config a real one as opposed to a sim. ;)

Right now I'm re-reading the Lammle book so I can pick up the small stuff I missed the 1st time through, things like what makes up a TCP vs. UDP packet etc. I doubt we'll get a question like that but hey, who knows.

Oh, one thing I haven't touched on yet is SDM. I downloaded the practice SDM from Cisco but since I have a real router/switch now I'm gonna try configuring them through SDM too.

I'm feeling confident I guess which is a good thing since I'm paying for the test myself ($160 through certify4less.com) and I don't want to have to pay for it again. I feel like I could pass it today with a 85% or more but I'm aiming for that 95% confident level just to be sure.

Good luck and GO VIKINGS!!!!!
    So I know we get partial credit on Sim's if we get parts wrong but I wonder how that's calculated, any one have an idea? I mean, if I am configuring a router to have the hostname of CISCOR1 but I make a typo of CISC0R1, will the test deduct for that and if so, how much?

I took a look here:
    https://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_certification_exam_policies.html

but didn't find much about it. Is Cisco looking for such precision?
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aside from knowing all the material in the blueprint, as was mentioned probably the biggest downfall for people taking any Cisco exam and CCNA is no exception, is time management.

Do not spend too much time on any particular question and don't get paralyzed by simulations, etc. I have seen several people who were pretty good with the material and blow the clock.

If you cannot figure out a sim after a reasonable amount of time, skip it. Yes, you will take a big hit but you can still pass if you finish the exam and do well on the rest.

Good luck to everyone going for it!

P.S. The assumption I always go under during a Cisco exam is that I am in a live environment and the precision of my configuration will affect things, rather than this is an exam what do I need to do to get full credit.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

genXrcist wrote: »
    So I know we get partial credit on Sim's if we get parts wrong but I wonder how that's calculated, any one have an idea? I mean, if I am configuring a router to have the hostname of CISCOR1 but I make a typo of CISC0R1, will the test deduct for that and if so, how much?

I took a look here:
    https://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_certification_exam_policies.html

but didn't find much about it. Is Cisco looking for such precision?

No one really knows and if we did it would be a violation of the NDA we must all sign to discuss it. One piece of advice on the sims...after you are done with what you determine to be the issue that needs to be configured, make sure to do a copy run start and to answer your question do a show run or whatever the appropriate show command is for the expected job, to confirm whether your solution works. This is just good practice and it will also let you see if you made the error you are referring to as well,. HTH..
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

For the advice and the well wishes. I'm gonna be keeping an eye out for the time for sure. :)
    So....I finish knocking out the Frame/ISDN and any other sim test last night I could work on to keep my brain moving and am feeling confident.....

However I get to the testing center this morning and am ready to dive in BUT

THE NETWORK IS DOWN...How ironic. Looking to reschedule asap

I'll keep you updated.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thats unlucky, my exam is due soon too, probably last week of this month, best of luck for next time
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    So....I finish knocking out the Frame/ISDN and any other sim test last night I could work on to keep my brain moving and am feeling confident.....

I'll keep you updated.
    You sure that wasn't your test? ;)

Nah, good luck!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    THE NETWORK IS DOWN.
    Look at it as your "dry run" for the exam. Now you know where the test center is, how long it takes to get there, where to park, what it looks like, etc

Keep focused and keep studying until your rescheduled exam icon_study.gif

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod

I'll keep you updated.
    That's both hilarious and frustrating. Kind of reminds me of the time my roommate and I went to the Oracle OpenWorld tradeshow and they wouldn't let him in because they'd lost his registration due to a database crash.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand - That is funny!

captobvious - Maybe that was my test, Should I have started asking the lady to check her router's and switches etc LOL.

mikej412 -I am continuing to study for sure and hope I get to send that I Passed post soon.

Thanks for the support!
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    captobvious - Maybe that was my test, Should I have started asking the lady to check her router's and switches etc LOL.
    I would have asked just to see the look on her face! icon_lol.gif