Question About Well Known Ports

hfismrm1hfismrm1 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all new to this forum.

Are there any other ports to know for the Security+ test other than the ones in the Well Known Ports practice test here???

Thanks,

Mitch...

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely

You need to know any of the port numbers that pass through services related to authentication or secure connections, VPN & such.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • ospreyosprey Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes. It would be good to know that even though FTP uses port 21 (for the session), it also uses port 20 (for the data).

Also, I doubt that this would be on the exam, but SFTP apparently uses port 22, the same as SSH uses.
    -Jon
    MCSE 2k3 & 2k, MCSA 2K3 & 2k, Security+
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    RussS wrote:
    Definitely

You need to know any of the port numbers that pass through services related to authentication or secure connections, VPN & such.
    icon_confused.gif I think he is referring to our Security+ Well Known port quiz, which includes authentication services (tacacs, radius, kerberos), and vpn protocols (l2tp and pptp, as well as SSH). I actually think I covered all the ports you might encounter on the sec+ exam, but I could be wrong, maybe some netbios ports?

If anyone has some suggestions for more ports, feel free to post them here and I'll add them to the quiz. (now don't go posting the /drivers/etc/services/file ;))