DNS monitoring

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
Another question about mspress book, chapter 6 says 'to find out which AD partition is used to store data for a particular DNS zone, you can either check the DNS zone properties in the DNS console or use the dnscmd /zoneinfo command.'

Where does this show up in zone properties in dns console, can't find it anywhere.

If i use dnscmd /zoneinfo all it has for directory partition is 'AD-legacy'

Comments

• MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    What are the effects of installing DNS thru Add/Remove Programs as opposed to Manage Server Roles? Thought it was described in the book but can't find it.
  • fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    What are the effects of installing DNS thru Add/Remove Programs as opposed to Manage Server Roles? Thought it was described in the book but can't find it.

Don't quote me on this but, I'm pretty sure if you use the add role, it will guide you through a wizard which will help you setup the dns service. If you just use add/remove you are just installing the service, and it will be up to you to configure the rest manually.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fluk3d wrote: »
    Don't quote me on this but, I'm pretty sure if you use the add role, it will guide you through a wizard which will help you setup the dns service. If you just use add/remove you are just installing the service, and it will be up to you to configure the rest manually.

Sorry, I couldn't resist icon_cool.gif

I believe that is correct though. To the OP, when it doubt, give it a try ;)
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Yep, add/remove dns, just installs the service (so will act as a caching only server) and adding the role will also install the service and then start a zone creation wizardy thing.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
    Think I found the "restriction" I was looking for, if dns is installed using Windows Components, a default restriction for zone transfers is limited to the name servers configured on the Name Servers tab. If it's installed using server roles, zone transfers are completely disabled by default.

One other question, if you're using dnscmd with /zonechangedirectorypartition to change directory partitions, the book lists 3 options /legacy, /forest, and /domain. Is there one to change to a custom directory application partition?