Network+ with A+ =?

bolson7117bolson7117 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have my A+ and going to take my network+, what tests are preferred to take to get your MCSA certification.

Or how does that work?

I did notice that there is a 2007 and 2009 network+ version, which one should I take?

Thanks

Comments

• NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 2009 objectives just came out so it is going to be difficult finding study guides that focus on the correct objectives. The 2007 objectives are expected to last another 6 months so if you can be ready in that time then that would be the best best since there are plenty of guides out there to study from. You will get the same Network+ certification reguardless of which exam you take.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    MCSA =

Core: (270 or 620), 290,291

Elective: A+ AND (N+ or Server+), OR Security+, OR MCDST, or something from the list here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx
  • bolson7117bolson7117 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    MCSA =

Core: (270 or 620), 290,291

Elective: A+ AND (N+ or Server+), OR Security+, OR MCDST, or something from the list here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

I'm I still required to take a core, or will the elective grant me the MCSA
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You have to take the core exams as listed on the MCSA page. Take 70-290, 70-291, then either 70-270 or 70-620. After that, you can choose to do another Microsoft exam as an elective, or you can do A+/Network+, A+/Server+, or Security+.

Keep in mind, the only CompTIA elective that works for both MCSA and MCSE, while the A+/Network+ and A+/Server+ combos only apply to MCSA.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    The 2009 objectives just came out so it is going to be difficult finding study guides that focus on the correct objectives. The 2007 objectives are expected to last another 6 months so if you can be ready in that time then that would be the best best since there are plenty of guides out there to study from. You will get the same Network+ certification reguardless of which exam you take.
    the 2009 objectives are still in draft form & the test hasn't been released yet, although it's due to be released sometime in the first quarter (Jan-Mar) of this year...if it doesn't get delayed. I heard from another test taker that they were recently advised by someone at CompTIA that the 2009 exams aren't going to be released until around July, but that's just hearsay so take it for what it's worth.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    skrpune wrote: »
    the 2009 objectives are still in draft form & the test hasn't been released yet, although it's due to be released sometime in the first quarter (Jan-Mar) of this year...if it doesn't get delayed. I heard from another test taker that they were recently advised by someone at CompTIA that the 2009 exams aren't going to be released until around July, but that's just hearsay so take it for what it's worth.

Thats good to know because I am not taking my Network+ exam until May and I was worried that I would be cutting it to close to the end of the 05/07 objectives.
    WGU PROGRESS

Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Thats good to know because I am not taking my Network+ exam until May and I was worried that I would be cutting it to close to the end of the 05/07 objectives.
    nah, you've got plenty of time. Plus, it's always a little dicey to be taking a brand-spankin' new exam...the exams/questions can be a little rough and don't have the "kinks" worked out, and the selection of study materials is pretty abysmal for new exams, plus there's not a lot of user/customer feedback on whether those books are good/bad or helpful/not for the new exams. If you can, I say stick with the "old" exam.

nah, you've got plenty of time. Plus, it's always a little dicey to be taking a brand-spankin' new exam...the exams/questions can be a little rough and don't have the "kinks" worked out, and the selection of study materials is pretty abysmal for new exams, plus there's not a lot of user/customer feedback on whether those books are good/bad or helpful/not for the new exams. If you can, I say stick with the "old" exam.

I have an intro to networking class this semester that uses the Tamara Dean Network+ guide (2005) for the textbook which is the main reason I didn't want to worry about 2009 objectives. The class finishes up around the middle of May but I will probably take the exam the end of April or the first week of May.
    WGU PROGRESS

I think you'll like Tamara Dean. I used her "Network+ 2005 In Depth" book and I really liked her writing style and how she went above & beyond to truly explain a point fully rather than in the narrow context of the exam objectives.

I think you'll like Tamara Dean. I used her "Network+ 2005 In Depth" book and I really liked her writing style and how she went above & beyond to truly explain a point fully rather than in the narrow context of the exam objectives.

Yeah I actually already read over the book once and really liked the way she explained things. I will also be using the Mike Meyers All in one and Passport books along with Testout. I think these additional sources will not just help me with the Network+ exam but also to ace that class.
    WGU PROGRESS