Options

PASSED. Thanks guys!

FulkrenFulkren Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my Sec+ exam (2007 edition) today with an 876/900. =)

The exam wasn't as hard as I was expecting, but that's probably because I did a lot of study before taking it. Now I understand what everyone was saying about poorly worded questions as well. I hope CompTIA cleaned some of those up in the new edition.

My primary study aids were the Syngress book, Measureup practice exams, this site, and the wikipedia/google. I used the Sybex book as well, but I felt it was a real disappointment compared to some of their other offerings and wouldn't recommend it.

Having a background in networking is also a real plus. For those of you who are considering taking both Sec+ and Net+, I highly recommend taking Net+ first. That way you can focus on learning security topics and not have to learn about subnet masking, ACLs, IPs, network topology and so on all at the same time.

Thanks to all the folks who have provided this great resource, both in the forum and the technotes. It's been a real aid in my studies.

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats on the pass & great score! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations icon_thumright.gif

Welcome to the forums :D
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on ur pass and well done ..... a nice way to being off ur new year certification list haha...

i am planning to take up mine soon and i am working on a few online test sites , the microsoft sec+ ( had no reviews on it so far) and the sybex book...

would u recommend the Microsoft book coz everyone is banking on the syngress and sybex...........

icon_wink.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    FulkrenFulkren Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't read the Microsoft book so I can't say one way or the other. I would definitely recommend the Syngress book over Cybex though. Since you already have your CCNA, network topology shouldn't be an issue, but you'll still want to make sure you know all the common ports, including the ports for Kerberos and the like. The Net+ port quiz here on Techexams is a good tool for that.

As with any resource, no one book will teach you everything. When you take a prep exam and get a question wrong or run into an area the your book doesn't explain well, I recommend googling the technology in question and reading up on it. For example, there were several sites I found that explained IPSec a lot better than either Syngress or Cybex did.

Good luck with your exam!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass. What's up next for you?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Congrats!

I hear you on the IPSec comment. I dont know why it's hard to grasp, but it is.. PKI also.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fulkren wrote: »
    I haven't read the Microsoft book so I can't say one way or the other. I would definitely recommend the Syngress book over Cybex though. Since you already have your CCNA, network topology shouldn't be an issue, but you'll still want to make sure you know all the common ports, including the ports for Kerberos and the like. The Net+ port quiz here on Techexams is a good tool for that.

As with any resource, no one book will teach you everything. When you take a prep exam and get a question wrong or run into an area the your book doesn't explain well, I recommend googling the technology in question and reading up on it. For example, there were several sites I found that explained IPSec a lot better than either Syngress or Cybex did.

Good luck with your exam!

thanks mate:D
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Nice score and congrats on the pass
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Congrats.

I think I also went in expecting the questions to be harder. I almost talked myself out of several right answers. I got a 855/900 so I am glad I didn't let it happen. That is a good hint for anyone planning to take the exam. Don't over analyze the questions. Just figure out what they are asking and pick the most secueity related correct answer.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, thats an excellent score
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    networking247networking247 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrads on the pass!