640-801 Router Sims Questions

tech77tech77 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
These may be some pretty stupid questions for some of you, but if anyone has some advice on the following, it would be appreciated.

On the exam router simulator questions, does the simulator on the exam work pretty much the same way a real router works? So, for example, if I wanted to go into an interface like Ethernet 0 could I type "int e0" and have the router work for me? Or what about using "copy run start" when finishing a simulation, do you have to type it all the way out "copy running-config startup-config"?

Also, does the context help work on the exam simulators? Can you type a ? and see a list of available commands?

And how does the test deal with a sim answer when you perhaps put more in than the question wanted? I guess it marks that one as wrong.

icon_scratch.gif

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The answers to your questions is yes (the sims are advanced and simulate a real router), except for the last one (it won't be marked wrong if the configuration works, although you can go too far probably, so do only what is required, which can be more than they ask..., but it'll be logical, just think as if you were configuring a real setup).

It is the final configuration that counts (hence don't forget to save it, after testing it with ie. ping or sh run, sh int etc.). If you type an abbrevation that is not valid, the router will inform you that the command is incorrect/not recognized.
  • tech77tech77 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply. Here's another question(s) and maybe somebody has some advice.

I was working with setting up OSPF on two of my test routers (using Boson simulator). I wanted to see what would happen if OSPF were setup with two different process ID numbers for example:

Router1
    router ospf 2

Router2
    router ospf 7

and then used the network command to add my network addresses to be routed. Both routers are routing to Area 0. So, this works because I can ping the interfaces. I guess the process ID numbers can be different and its the area number that's important right? This is just a simple 2 router setup with no additional areas beyond Area 0. Interesting.

I guess my question is, on the exam, does it matter if the process ID numbers are different if you get a simulator question with OSPF? Or is it better to make them the same for the test?

icon_study.gificon_idea.gificon_study.gif
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Right, the Process ID is locally significant. It's not like IGRP/EIGRP and the AS number. I personally try to maintain the same process ID's for the same areas because if you change the PID's and forget what router you're in, things are going to be FUBAR
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • tech77tech77 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Drakonblayde,

Thanks, buddy for the assist!
    Right, the Process ID is locally significant. It's not like IGRP/EIGRP and the AS number. I personally try to maintain the same process ID's for the same areas because if you change the PID's and forget what router you're in, things are going to be FUBAR

Now, I'll get some more router time with EIGRP. FUBAR and SNAFU!

Taking the damn thing soon... soon. Gotta keep cool about it.

icon_shaking.gificon_study.gificon_cyclops_ani.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif