Interview for a Security Position!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Well got an interview for an entry-level security position! At a hospital not too far from where I live, interview is at 1 pm on Tuesday!

These are the responsibilities...

This entry level position in our team will work with senior and lead network security professionals providing support for design, implementation and operational activities related to the network security infrastructure for Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals. Additional responsibilities: perform audits and investigations, monitor solutions for effectiveness and security breaches, upgrade and maintain network security infrastructure and appliances.

* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in IT or related discipline.
* 1+ years exposure to: TCP/IP networking and routing, knowledge of general UNIX command set, Checkpoint firewalls, Cisco VPN, Cisco Firewall Services Module, ISS IPS, Snort, Juniper Netscreen appliances, Websense, Airmagnet and wireless auditing, Nokia IPSO, Linux and Solaris.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.

Hopefully it pans out because this was exactly what I was looking for and went to school for!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Sounds like it is in Philadelphia based upon the hospital name?

Have a Happy New Year, too!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Yup, Philadelphia area hospital. Not too happy about the city wage tax, but beggars can't be choosers!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I am familliar with that too.....can't be too picky in this economy!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Don't forget to learn a little about HIPAA privacy and security requirements (if you haven't already). It's something that could come up during an interview.

Good Luck! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks mike! I've gone over it in some courses, but I'll definitely go over it in more detail. Great tip!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Don't forget to learn a little about HIPAA privacy and security requirements (if you haven't already). It's something that could come up during an interview.

Good Luck! icon_cool.gif

That's an EXCELLENT tip when going to work for Medical! Some even list it as a knowledge requirement in their postings for I.T. jobs.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First question, what is security mean to you?

Second question, waht is the current security that hospital is dealing with?

Third question, do you know the statistic about medical frault, report error and downtime for database.

Anyway, look like the HR don't have any clue about security. From my experience and in metro area companies. Most entry level security position required at least 5 years experience in Network/Admin/Business.

Security is unqiure and required you to have boardband of experience and view about how security look from different angle.

All I can say, is good luck.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck mate and do let us know how it goes. I am very interested in knowing what comes out of it, a lot of what you have said is what I am doing right now.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Best of Luck on the interview. Keep us posted on how it went and the type of questions you where asked in the interview? Would actually like to hear some feedback on this.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Good luck! Sounds like an awesome job.
    Well, overall I think the interview went pretty well. All the questions were related to courses and job experience listed on my resume. I read up on HIPAA, but the topic wasn't brought up. Big part of the job is going to be penetrating the wireless network, helping to update current security policies/incident response plans, and doing some helpdesk work as it relates to VPN issues. They will let me know next week if I will be brought back for a second interview with the team I would be on. Good starting pay (didn't give the exact number, but said it was a good amount above what I was looking for), 2 weeks vacation, 9 sick days, and 5 personal days. Was also given a tour of their facility, plus would be able to work on some other projects with vmware, etc. Hopefully I'll hear something as I had a pretty good conversation with the manager and the position was a coop position held by a student from my college. The position was converted to a fulltime spot. But 15 other people that have to be interviewed, I was the first!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    I got a call from the hospital today, but they didn't leave a message. So either it was for a second interview or a thanks, but no thanks call. On a side note I got a second interview for another job. Main duties will be deploying and working on Microsoft Dynamics 2009, but they have no security person at this point in time so I would be allow to help out with that as well.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff