Security+ Question

istgirlistgirl Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I have a question. I recently passed my A+ exam, plan to go on for my Net+ cert and I was thinking about going for the Security+ one afterwards. Do I need to have hadns on experience with security in order to pass this exam? Experience with the different aspects of security and what not?

istgirl
Tech Support Tip #2: When the support agent says "Click...", wait for the rest of the sentence.

Hot Tip #3: Be sure to turn it on before calling technical support.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You don't need to have hands-on experience as the Sec+ exam covers mostly concepts and theory. But, having experience with the common and less common security topics a typical sys or net admin may encounter on the job, can make things much easier. The security+ exam covers a broad range of topics (not very deep) so a broad experience in IT is helpful.

If you plan to go for MS and/or Cisco certs as well, it might be better to do those first.
  • istgirlistgirl Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ask because being that I have very little hands on IT experience (as of yet), I wanted to try to get the certs I could that weren't REAL detailed where you needed to have actual experience with that subject in order to pass. I thought that you'd definitely need some hands on experience in order to do the MS and CCNA exams. Is this true?
    Tech Support Tip #2: When the support agent says "Click...", wait for the rest of the sentence.

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Believe me, the Security+ certification is night and day different to offerings from Comptia such as A+ or Net+ and with minimal IT experience I suggest a serious study regieme before attempting this one.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    istgirl wrote:
    I thought that you'd definitely need some hands on experience in order to do the MS and CCNA exams. Is this true?
    Yes, definitely. Although one could probably pass it just by reading the book(s) and practice exams, IMHO the cert will be worthless if you haven't 'touched' a router or Windows system.
  • istgirlistgirl Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, thanks for the info folks!!! It confirmed what I had thought.