SYO-101 VS SYO-201

Th0rnTh0rn Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
For the people who have had success with the Security+ certificate...
I have just received a B.A. in Information Systems Security from a Tech college from Colorado. I am preparing for this certificate, the books I could find only have SYO-101 study books (I've got the Passport book and Exam Cram 2). How well will the SYO-101 books help me with the SYO-201 test? Did I just waste my money? What test should I take? Whats the best indicator that I am ready? What is the real difference between the tests?

I will be taking my test in March of 2009. I need all the tips and tricks from the veterans of this certification. Any insight is helpful!

~Th0rn

Comments

• LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    You could just take the older exam to make use of your study materials. I don't think employers will care which version of the test you passed. It will earn you the same Security+ designation. From what I remember ExamCram was okay, but I found the Syngress book better. Search through the Security+ forum threads for tons of tips and thoughts.

The old exam does not retire until July 31, 2009.

http://certification.comptia.org/security/bridgeexam.aspx
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Check out the objectives of the two exams. With you getting your degree recently, you might find the newer version easier. One of the reasons for the updated test is that the material keeps changing. Most of the basic concepts are the same and will not change from test to test but there are differences. For the older sec+ test you must know a good bit of out dated information. WEP is just one example. There are others that don't leap immediately to mind.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP