I Passed -now A+ certified!

REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, in October 2008, I failed with a 670. I retook 602 last week, and passed with an 850! On top of the 825 I got on 601. I gotta tell you, I am very relieved to pass this one.

I'm done with CompTia, since I already have Net +. I was hoping to work towards MCSA, but with the economy, I don't think work will pay for anymore classes. They are pushing me towards Six Sigma. Which is great, I'll be glad to cerifty as a Green Belt.

Anyone have any experience to share about Six Sigma? More geared towards Engineers, but can apply towards IT.

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats on the pass!

If work won't pay for classes, maybe they'll pay for books or training materials? While classes are helpful, they're certainly not necessary to pass cert exams.

Not sure how much the classes you would take cost, but you can get MS Press books and some video training materials for reasonable prices. Plus, if work purchases CBT materials, it's a onetime training expenditure that can be used by more than one person...they can either get multi-user licenses for training videos (like through CBT Nuggets) or they can get additional licenses for videos/sims at discounted rates (like with TestOut). Just a thought...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Grats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your pass.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Congrats with the Pass here.

In reference to the economy why not just purchase a book and self study. Dont think you need a class to teach you the stuff you need for the MCSA. Paying for the exams is another thing.

Best of lucks and congrats on the pass again
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and good luck with the next one!
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REID8968 wrote: »
    Well, in October 2008, I failed with a 670. I retook 602 last week, and passed with an 850! On top of the 825 I got on 601. I gotta tell you, I am very relieved to pass this one.

I'm done with CompTia, since I already have Net +. I was hoping to work towards MCSA, but with the economy, I don't think work will pay for anymore classes. They are pushing me towards Six Sigma. Which is great, I'll be glad to cerifty as a Green Belt.

Anyone have any experience to share about Six Sigma? More geared towards Engineers, but can apply towards IT.

If you have the self discipline I would suggest saving the $$$ and going the self study route. I ordered the MS Press MCSE kit from Half.com for only $99.

Also check out the details of some of the classes at your community college. I have a class required for my degree coming up that just happens to be Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment aka MS 70-290, even uses a 70-290 textbook. This class only cost me $120 and I get 3 credits for it.

I know not every school has the same selection of classes but it is worth checking if you want an instructed environment. My school is also a MS Academy but that option is about $750 + lab fees and no college credit.

I am not taking that class until next year though so I am just going to self study for the 70-290 exam and take it before that class, should make for an easy A when I do have to take it though :D

Another thing to consider is that if you are able to find a class like that at your local community college and you enroll you will be eligible for some nice student discounts such as taking your MCSA/E exams for $60 and getting Testout lessons for only $89 which is a big savings.

Also some schools have MS Academic Alliance which means you can download unrestricted copys of Server 03 and some XP clients for your VM's to study with or even Server 2008 if you go the MCITP route.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • bolson7117bolson7117 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REID8968 wrote: »

That was my plan as well, I plan on doing more certs when i finish my last year in school.