70-293 First Impressions

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
So I started in on my 70-293 materials, my job has the TestOut software so I am starting there.

SOOO much of this material is verbatum the material 70-291. So far most of not all the videos are the same ones I watched for the 70-291, with nothing added. I already am on chapter 4 of 9 in the set, passing the exams with flying colors... because of course, it's nothing more than a review of 70-291.

DNS, DHCP, WINS and proper location of DCs etc.

Looking ahead there are a few security sections that look interesting and the videos on Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com seem promising but thus far disappointed. I was hoping for some new major insight into networking that I was unaware of.

Hopefully, given it's repetitive nature I can blow though this one faster than my normal 4-6 months per exam.

How much time did everyone else invest in this one? testout says 50 hours and my book has gotta be 800 pages long. On hours and reading alone I am guessing I'll end up investing about 70 hours?
-Daniel

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It was about a month between the 291 & 293 for me. I wanted to do it 2 weeks after but the testing center didn't have any slots available until a month out. While there is a lot of repetition from the 291 they also nail you pretty hard on the new stuff. Make sure you work hard on your PKI, NLB and clustering. Have fun with it!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sat my 291 on monday december 30th and will be sitting my 293 tomorrow which makes it two weeks on the nose. I also have the testout cbts and found the same thing you did as far as a large percentage of it being repetitive. Maybe i am too optimistic but I will let you know how it goes. It seems that PKI, clustering, and a more in depth look at WINS are the only major chunks of new information. Lets hope that we are not underestimating this one.
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    jnwdmb wrote: »
    I sat my 291 on monday december 30th and will be sitting my 293 tomorrow which makes it two weeks on the nose. I also have the testout cbts and found the same thing you did as far as a large percentage of it being repetitive. Maybe i am too optimistic but I will let you know how it goes. It seems that PKI, clustering, and a more in depth look at WINS are the only major chunks of new information. Lets hope that we are not underestimating this one.

JNWDMB,

looking at the exams that you've past. Aren't you a MSCA now? 270,290,291,a+,net+ should get you MCSA right?
    Yes sir, you are correct, I am an MCSA, as of December 30th 2008 (thank you for noticing). I was going to change my profile to say it, but because the goal is to be an MCSE by February, I am trying to continue pushing myself and not bask in the glory or pat myself on the back quite yet.
    Yes sir, you are correct, I am an MCSA, as of December 30th 2008 (thank you for noticing). I was going to change my profile to say it, but because the goal is to be an MCSE by February, I am trying to continue pushing myself and not bask in the glory or pat myself on the back quite yet.

First of all congrats, one heck of an accomplishment.

Second, you have a great attitude. Good luck on completing your goal within the time frame you set for yourself!
    Thanks....I needed a compliment tonight....I am supposed to sit the 293 tomorrow and I am starting to get the pre exam-jitters. Some of the topics posted today though have kept me in a fairly good state of mind. This is hands down my favorite IT community. Now if only I could find a way to incorporate a good woman into my life....I shudder to think that I may have to attend a particular class in Germany to resurrect my love life! In fact, the more I think about it, I never had a problem in that department until I got interested in IT......do the words "I work in IT" just magically kill a woman's attraction/*** drive?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I needed a compliment tonight

Your hair smells nice ;)

Good luck tomorrow!
    What hair?
    Well I managed to pass my 293 today with an 809. I have to be honest, I thought the questions were not very difficult......it was those simulations that tripped me up some I think. I wouldnt say take it for granted, but if you are fresh off the 291 and you went over the new material and feel comfortable, then I would worry very much on this one. Let me know how you do, and good luck on your exam!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    ...do the words "I work in IT" just magically kill a woman's attraction/*** drive?
    nah, just depends on the woman. If I were still single, it definitely wouldn't be a turn off for me...my response would probably be "COOL, what toys do YOU get to play with!" :D

BIG congrats to you. So, what now...do you have 294 scheduled for tomorrow afternoon or somethin'? ;)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Well I managed to pass my 293 today with an 809. I have to be honest, I thought the questions were not very difficult......it was those simulations that tripped me up some I think. I wouldnt say take it for granted, but if you are fresh off the 291 and you went over the new material and feel comfortable, then I would worry very much on this one. Let me know how you do, and good luck on your exam!

Congrats on your pass. :D

Congrats, well done!
  • kentwindhamkentwindham Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ...but if you are fresh off the 291 and you went over the new material and feel comfortable...

Excuse me for maybe being uninformed (ignorant), but what would be considered the "new material" for the 293 compared to the 291? I'm several months past the 291, but the 293 is my next exam, probably end of April. I know I need to catch up on PKI, NLB and clustering. What else on this exam? I feel very comfortable with DNS, DHCP, AD and messaging.