Worth it to get MCDST right now?

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been thinking of getting the MCITP Enterprise Support Technician cert. The test consist of 70-620 and 70-622. Then I wanted to take the 70-621 to upgrade it to MCDST. At first this seemed like a good idea but I've heard about Windows 7 and am worried I'll get certified for Vista with the MCITP and then have to re-certify not too long after because of Windows 7.

What do you guys think? Do it or certify for Windows 7 when that comes out?

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Vista isn't very well adopted by businesses yet, you have to ask yourself if you really think Windows 7 is going to be adpoted quickly too. Unlikely as all we have seen is the very first of the beta releases and while it does seem better, even if it is 1000 times better than Vista it's going to be a slow road before it's used as vast as XP is now.

I would pursue the certification now, if you always wait for the next thing to come out to become certified then you will never ever be certified.
  • elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    I'm afraid you've got it the wrong way around. 70-621 is for people who already have MCDST. If you want to get both XP and Vista desktop certs then you'll need to do 70-271 and 70-272 for your DST and then take 70-621.

Personally I wouldn't worry about Windows 7 just yet. My gut feeling is there's not going to be a huge change there and there will likely be transition exams available if they decide to roll out a new Desktop Support qualification for it. Besides which having a generation or two back of legacy systems shows employers that you're keeping upto date with your knowledge and that you don't regard certification as a one time event.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Its is a cheap way to get MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP certs. For the value of 3 tests, that's pretty good. I did the 621 upgrade for the DST and its probably better to do that than to do 620 and 622.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When you complete the 70-621, you get credit for 70-620 wherever it is a Core OS requirement. As a result, MCDST satisfies your elective credit for MCSA 2003. That means you just need 70-290 and 70-291 to obtain MCSA 2003.

70-271 + 70-272 = MCP & MCDST
    70-621 = MCTS & MCITP:EST
    70-290 + 70-291 = MCSA 2003

All in that order. You'll need to work on a different elective if you go for MCSE.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would hit the MCDST as XP isn't going anywhere soon. After the VISTA flop, companies are going to take a long, hard look at 7. There are a lot of considerations for companies to consider. Xp is well established, has great support and with proper hardware is still a great OS.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MCDST is certainly worth getting, since the majority of desktop computers in use are XP. Vista is also worth certifying on as the technologies in there are the same ones in WIndows 7. With Vista having 10% market share and growing also with Windows 7 coming you are going to need to know things like ImageX and Vista/7's group policy.

Bottom line is, where do you see yourself and what is your experience? If you want to be doing desktop support in the near future or are doing it, both certs should on your list.
    -Daniel
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember look into your career what is helpful or not. If it help your job, then YES. If it help your career, then YES. If just something that extra paper with logo, properly not a good idea right now.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn