Next GIAC Exam(s)?

jplee3jplee3 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just wondering what path/route any of you GIAC cert holders would recommend going down. I just got my GCIH recently and am now eyeing the GSEC and the GPEN. On one hand, the GSEC is more 'marketable' but on the other hand the stuff in the GPEN seems hardcore and what I'd really like to get into :)

In the meantime, I will probably start picking up on studying for the CISSP... or maybe tackling Security+

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    If you've got someone to pay for the GSEC for you then I'd say go for that. The Security+ is trivial compared to the information in the GSEC exam.
  • jplee3jplee3 Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    If you've got someone to pay for the GSEC for you then I'd say go for that. The Security+ is trivial compared to the information in the GSEC exam.

Yea I was thinking that. Security+ might be working backwards at this point. The CISSP or SSCP seem 'affordable' enough to get on my own at this point. GSEC is a bigger investment though. Even with the $800+ "challenge" exam! Ughh...
    SANS now requires that you to stay at the hotel where the workshops are given, so that has driven-up the total cost of getting one of their certs considerably.
    jplee3 wrote:
    Even with the $800+ "challenge" exam! Ughh...
    It's $899 to challenge most SANS exams without having purchased the training and offical course materials.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    JDMurray wrote: »
    SANS now requires that you to stay at the hotel where the workshops are given, so that has driven-up the total cost of getting one of their certs considerably.

Would you please point me to the link which explains this? I have been planning on attending the SANS 2009 in Orlando, but I *LIVE* in Orlando. There is absolutely no way my company (or my wife)would allow me or would even pay for me to stay at the hotel. -Un CISSP, Sec+, Net+, MCP
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
    Check the conditions for attending a specific SANS training event and look for wording like, "must stay at the hotel where the training courses are given." It might not be a condition at every SANS event. I was surprised to see this sort of thing at all.
  • j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »

I was just at the Orlando event in March. I don't think that this was the case. What event did you see this as a requirement for?
    I think it was a San Diego event.
    Bizarre. I'd be curious to know if anyone else sees one of these.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    The requirement to stay at the hotel was only for people doing the work study program. If you are paying the full event price you can stay in your car for all they care.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
    Ahhh that makes much more sense...