ESXi question

CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
Can someone please explain to me if there is any way to create virtual machines on a machine loaded with ESXi that doesnt require me buying the VI product after 60 days? I am having a hoot of a time understanding the benefit of the hypervisor being free if there is nothing readily available to create hosts (no matter how that would be accomplished) from I see I cant even do it through the command line? What about creating them through vmserver and using the vmcenter converter to bring them over? Is that an option???

Please some insight would be very welcome!

Thank you!

(esx newbie here, please be gentle!)
MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you using Virtual Center or the VI client? I don't remember there being any limitations on the VIC. I haven't used ESXi myself, but I thought you could just connect to it with VIC (should be downloadable by accessing your ESXi host via HTTP).
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm pretty sure dynamik is right... there should have been a VI Client package that came with your ESXi installation. Try https://esxi_servername from your PC and see if there's a link to download the client to your PC.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These two are correct.
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Wow. The link directly to VIC was biting me in the nose and I missed it.. Thanks for a gentle push in the right direction.

.... i was looking for legacy versions of it, oh boy, long day..

Thanks again.
    Sorry about the follow up.. I noticed that this IS the 60 day trial version, after which is over am I completely hosed on the machines I created (cant reboot or manage them) unless I buy the license for this package ($$$), is there anything else one could use to control these virtual machines for free? (i know i sound cheap, but its because i am! Well that and broke.)

Orrr is the only way to go about this by using vmserver?

Thanks guys/gals!
    What is the trial version? ESX and Virtual Center both have 60 day trials. ESXi is free, as is the VI client.
  • elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Are you sure you're using ESXi? ESXi is completely free. ESX Standard is available with a 60 day trial but that's a different product.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe you're using an old copy? It just became free in the past 6-8 months or so.

Did you register it and put in the key? I assume this is a requirement; I haven't been using ESXi but the other free products I've used needed to be registered.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    My guess is that he installed VC and is connecting to that with the VIC instead of directly to the ESXi host.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Open the VI Client and connect to the host, under the host itself (on the left) select the Configuration tab on the right and pick licensing. Change the licensing to use the keycode you recieved as a part of your download of ESXi. All ESXi installs default to a 60 day trial of the advanced features (VCB, etc) and will downgrade to the free version after 60 days, to stop the warning messages you need to enter the license code as I mentioned.
    Oh ok, got it, my reading of the terms was off, you are correct, the key that I was supplied with was all I will be needing. Thank you very much for all your help. Much appreciated!!

.. the response time here is better then most support lines I have had to call ;)

Cheers!
    Glad we could help.
    Thankfully someone who has actually used it was able to chime in icon_lol.gif
  • elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    dynamik wrote: »
    Thankfully someone who has actually used it was able to chime in icon_lol.gif

See just like real techincal support... you speak to 5 people who have a guess at it until you get one person who actually knows what they're on about... all we need now is some irritating hold muzak and we're done :D
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm completely new to VMWare.

Does ESXi supports the following?

Node farm
    Vmotion
    Snapshot
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    jbaello wrote: »
    Node farm
    If you mean HA then only if you've got VI Standard or above.
    If you want multiple ESX hosts and centralised management then you need VI Foundation.
    If you just mean running multiple ESX hosts then you can do it with the free version.
    Vmotion
    Yes if you've got VI Enterprise.
    Snapshot
    Yes even with the free version.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm completely new to VMWare.

Does ESXi supports the following?

Node farm
    Vmotion
    Snapshot

Just as tiersten mentioned the features you are referring to are license based. They don't care what hypervisor you use (ESX or ESXi).
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The diagram that shows you what you get in each version is on the VMware site.

The free version of ESXi just covers the bottom 3 items.
    tiersten wrote: »
    The diagram that shows you what you get in each version is on the VMware site.

The free version of ESXi just covers the bottom 3 items.
    Here's one that includes them all:

vmware-esx-versions-and-pricing.png