Is it possible to set a RJ-45 on my ADSL RJ-11?

Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
As the title reads, can I remove the RJ-11 contact on my ADSL-line and replace it with a RJ-45? Text on the cord reads "Cat 5 UTP", and since 100BaseTX only uses 4 cables for transmitting, I thought you maybe could replace it with and RJ-45? Or maybe it uses at different type of encapsulation, that makes it possible but unusable unless you have a ADSL-type modem anyhow?

I'm just curius :)
CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.

Comments

• mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Don't see why not, if you are wiring into a jack just ensure you place the cabling in the centre of the jack with the same number of empty pins either side. Either way just match the existing order.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You could but you would probably have to convert it back to RJ-11 for any typical device that would accept it as they are hardwired with RJ-11 connectors - analog phones, DSL modem, WIC-1ADSL and so on. It won't do you much good plugging into an ethernet interface or switchport.

We terminate everything using a typical RJ-45 puch down block and then patch with RJ-11 line cords for analog faxes and ADSL modems.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Morty3 wrote: »
    As the title reads, can I remove the RJ-11 contact on my ADSL-line and replace it with a RJ-45? Text on the cord reads "Cat 5 UTP", and since 100BaseTX only uses 4 cables for transmitting, I thought you maybe could replace it with and RJ-45? Or maybe it uses at different type of encapsulation, that makes it possible but unusable unless you have a ADSL-type modem anyhow?

I'm just curius :)

Morty3,

I have to ask why do you want to change the 6 position modular jack to an 8 position modular jack?
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Think he said he was just curious at the bottom of his post
  • Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    Yeah, I was just curious. I do not intend to do it either, I was just playing with the thought!
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.