Registering for SSCP questions.

tigerthekidtigerthekid Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I finished the 70-291 and really need a break from the MCSE. Security is my passion so I'm going to start studying for the SSCP. I read up on all the good study materials but I had questions regarding registration. It looks like they don't have sittings for the test very often and they're not in the best locations. It looks like I'll have to drive 3 hours and pay $400+ to take the test. It also looks like they only have one sitting this year close to me (In April). Is this normal or am I missing something?
~J.J.~

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You are pretty much correct in your observations. A big criticism of the (ISC)2 is that they offer only a few exam session each month and only in a very few places. They are looking at going to computer-based exams for this reason, but I think that the increased potential for cheating on CB exams will only hurt the integrity of the certification.

If you are looking at your first security cert, go for the Security+. It's a very good to get your start in security and it is recognized by Microsoft for the MCSE.
  • tigerthekidtigerthekid Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's the certs I have so far: A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, DCSE, MCSE (in progress). The Sec+ was pretty easy for me. In part because I enjoyed the material so much I absorbed it and read in depth on the topics.
    ~J.J.~
    Then the SSCP is the next general security cert for you to look at. But realized that besides the cost, the SSCP also has a requirement to collect a certain number of educational credits (CPE) each year, and has an Annual Maintenance Fee of $65US. So the (ISC)2 certs have ongoing financial and educational commitments that most other cert vendors (CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco, etc.) do not require.
    What helps is I'm a member is the ISSA. I get CE credits even though I can't use them right now. The CE requirement shouldn't be too hard. Actually, this Friday I have a luncheon where the guest speaker is discussing role-based access control and we get CE for that as well.

Thanks so much for the quick reply.
    ~J.J.~
    You will only be able to apply CPEs that you have earned after you become certified with the (ISC)2. Any CPEs earned before certification cannot be applied to later certifications.

I was in this same boat. I was SSCP-certified on June 6th 2008 and attended and ISSA meeting the following week. However, I was not allowed to claim CPEs for my SSCP from events that occurred earlier than July 2008. And all CPEs that I have earned since cannot be applied to the CISSP cert that I should be getting this month.
    That's what I figured. But I attend the meetings regularly so hopefully it'll be a steady source of CE.

Thanks for the help.
    ~J.J.~
    Yes, you'll be surprise how easy it is to pick up CPEs. Attend secuity meetings, security magazine subscriptions, go to a couple of InfoSec conferences a year, etc. Even some college classes and professional skills seminars count.