Options

Network Ranges

alphawavealphawave Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
For a network starting at 10.0.0.0 with a 255.255.240.0 subnet mask, how would I determine the range of addresses? I know this netowrk would provide 4094 clients. Still a little uncertain on how to calculate what the end client Ip address is with this information. I feel like i am missing somthing blatent. I am not looking for an aswer so much as a method.

thank you!
tod

Comments

• Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    alphawave wrote: »
    For a network starting at 10.0.0.0 with a 255.255.240.0 subnet mask, how would I determine the range of addresses? I know this netowrk would provide 4094 clients. Still a little uncertain on how to calculate what the end client Ip address is with this information. I feel like i am missing somthing blatent. I am not looking for an aswer so much as a method.

thank you!
    tod

If you take 240 from 256 you get a block size of 16 in the third octet.

If you are taking 10.0.0.0 as the subnet, then

10.0.0.1 will be the first assignable address
    10.0.15.254 will be the last assignable address
    10.0.15.255 will be the broadcast address (One address before the next subnet which is 10.0.16.0 since the subnet mask tells us there is a block size of 16 in the third octet)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    alphawavealphawave Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you take 240 from 256 you get a block size of 16 in the third octet.

Ok great, so is it really as simple as subtracting the non-default mask from 256 to determine subnet block size?