"Killed It" today with a 1000!!!

dkirkdkirk Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was supposed to take it on the 12/29 but had to reschudule due to the holidays. This was my first Microsoft exam and actually I am still in a bit of shock! There were 6 questions on the exam that I had to take an educated guess about but the rest were pretty cut and dry. For those interested; My firm sent me to New Horizons for the 2273B course (5days) back in November and I received a free subscription to microsoft's eLearning. I worked through both of these but I also worked through the TestOut 70-290 CD and the MSPress book for the exam. I really feel that I got more from TestOut CD and the MSPress Book. For the past 2 weeks I have been taking the practice exam's on the MSPress book CD over and over and over... Now back to drinking beer! Cheers!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's awesome, congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • dkirkdkirk Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    many thanks, if I had to study another night for this, I think that my wife would have divorced me... I will give it about 2 weeks then start preparing for the next one...
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats. Here's to hoping that the 70-291 score will be just as good. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    WOW, congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Congrats on the score and the pass
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wow!!! good work
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • thuggthugg Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats great, Congrats
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now this sounds like a real legit 1000. So great job.

This would be the expected excitement for someone to make 1000 legitamitely.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wow, how many years have you been working with 2k3? Wow... just wow.
    -Daniel
  • ronpasa69ronpasa69 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude, that’s awesome. I'm glad that you mentioned New Horizons. what a coincidence I'm also enrolled at New Horizons in Southern California. I purchased TestOut, ITS THE BEST! NHSC has provided my Transdenders and SelftTestSoftware simulation exams. I need to know HOW MANY QUESTIONS AND HOW MUCH TIME ARE YOU PROVIDED TO COMPLETE THE EXAM. Also, did you use ‘Vue’ or ‘Prometric’.
  • dkirkdkirk Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went through Prometric. On my exam, I had 43 questions and had 3 hours to complete. It took me a little over 2 hours to finish. I do not want to disclose too much about the test itself but I will say, READ THE TECH NOTES FOR THIS EXAM! and know these topics like the back of your hand. Also know backups in general (they were hit pretty hard on my exam). As far as New Horizons, all in all, I think the 2273B was a good course for an overview but to walk out of the class and pass test with no prior knowledge or experience, I do not think it is possible (it covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time). From a network admin point of view, I have only worked with 2k3 server for about a year but I have been developing apps with php and .net for about 4 years (corporate downsizing... survivors wear many hats). I am starting to study for the Network+ next, for those who have taken it, how does it compare?
  • wissyhwissyh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, thats a great score, congrats! :)

I myself booked this one for next wednesday. I think I can pass it with decent score but I doubt that I will do even nearly as good as you did!
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Now THIS seems to be a legit 1000! Congratulations!! WAY TO GO!!!
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    gravyjoe wrote: »
    Now THIS seems to be a legit 1000! Congratulations!! WAY TO GO!!!

I agree, this seems to be an honest 1000. Congratulations!!icon_smile.gif
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • wissyhwissyh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I steal this thread just once more to inform you guys that I just passed this one with score of 900, yay!

Didn't get even near of that freaking awesome score of 1000 but im quite happy with my result anyways :)

I used hands-on experience, MS Press book and Testout to study for this one. I also had a chance to do couple of simulation exams with Transcenders and now I do understand why it is so popular. The questions are really tough and gives you some idea about your chances on the real one. I passed Transcenders simulation exams with 800-950 points and I do think that some of the questions were much harder than the questions on real exam.

I'm wandering off to see what 70-620 has to offer me. After that comes the hard part because I think im going after 291 when i'm done with 620.
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Thats great man. congratulations!
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats to all
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Congrats! New Horizons huh? I've heard of them. I attended Techskills, crap IMO.

I'll admit they handed me a braindump, but I found out about it before reading it. I discarded the file and just studied by using my 290 book.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Mmartin_47 wrote: »
    Congrats! New Horizons huh? I've heard of them. I attended Techskills, crap IMO.

I'll admit they handed me a braindump, but I found out about it before reading it. I discarded the file and just studied by using my 290 book.

Don't you love all these companies out trying to make the quickiest easiest dollar they can... while discrediting their students and the exam reputation? Companies like these should be sued
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • toteman85toteman85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't you love all these companies out trying to make the quickiest easiest dollar they can... while discrediting their students and the exam reputation? Companies like these should be sued[/QUOTE]

I don't like them either, one year and half ago I commited with one of these institutes, and so far I have my Net+ and the 270 and 290 but to be honest what I've learned there was nothing, I just drop off lasses with them and will try to get my money back, the certifications I've got are product of me studying like crazy at my own !!
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    toteman85 wrote: »
    Don't you love all these companies out trying to make the quickiest easiest dollar they can... while discrediting their students and the exam reputation? Companies like these should be sued

I don't like them either, one year and half ago I commited with one of these institutes, and so far I have my Net+ and the 270 and 290 but to be honest what I've learned there was nothing, I just drop off lasses with them and will try to get my money back, the certifications I've got are product of me studying like crazy at my own !![/QUOTE]

I hear ya. I wasn't the only one that was handed the braindump for 291. I only know 1 person from that school that used it. He works as an administrator right now, but it's funny when I ask him for help, he acts lost.

The school I belonged to was awful. They downgraded and went down from the beautiful financial district of downtown San Francisco to downtown Oakland. It was ghetto as hell. Especially since our school is next to our train station where a lot of protesting has occured since an unarmed passenger was shot on New Years by a police officer that happens to work for our rail service.

Only if I knew about self-paced earlier. Oh well. I'm finishing MCSE on my own. I have all the equipment and books. Oh yeah they changed their contract and did not allow me to keep all of the books.