70-620 Scheduled for 1/17/09

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got the MS Press book for Christmas and just finished reading it cover to cover for the first time yesterday. I took a practice test and did pretty good on it however it showed that I still need some more work in 3 sections, Configuring Windows Security Features, Configuring Network Connectivity and Maintain & Optimize Systems so I am hitting those sections alot harder. I plan on rereading the book a couple of times before the test date.

Next week I will start going through the practice labs. I have already done quite a few in the book along with several of the virtual labs on Technet.

I'm feeling good about this exam. I start work on my Associates in Information Security Systems on 1/20/09 so knocking out my first MS exam will be a great way to start on the right foot into that program.
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'm sure you'll do fine - if you just work through the lessons in the book 2-3 times, that'll give you enough practice to prepare you for the exam.

Good luck!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think most of the questions I missed on the practice test were all the (Choose all that apply) and I would either pick one too many or not enough :/

I still have a couple weeks before the exam so I will be going through the lessons as many times I can before that time. I get alot of reading done at work, I'm a security guard so I have 40 paid hours a week of reading and study time along with internet access.

I might try to remote connect to my desktop so I can work on some of the practice lessons as well.
    WGU PROGRESS

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Best of luck let us know how you do
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    Thanks alot :D

This site has been a huge help in pointing me in the right direction and getting myself motivated to hit the books. Its crazy, getting me to read fiction books is like pulling teeth but I am addicted to these study guides, I can't put them down lol.
    WGU PROGRESS

I just signed up for the 7 day free trial of Testout last night and spent about 2 hours in the 70-620 lessons and I am sold. For those of you that are taking your exam in the next couple of weeks you should take advantage of the free trial. I hope to get through the entire volume before my trial is up.

I think the 7 day free trial is enough to go over the Vista topics, especially if you have other study material as well but if you do want to buy it and you are a student you can pick it up for $89 + Shipping which Skrpune said came out to about $101
    WGU PROGRESS

Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I just signed up for the 7 day free trial of Testout last night and spent about 2 hours in the 70-620 lessons and I am sold. For those of you that are taking your exam in the next couple of weeks you should take advantage of the free trial. I hope to get through the entire volume before my trial is up.

I think the 7 day free trial is enough to go over the Vista topics, especially if you have other study material as well but if you do want to buy it and you are a student you can pick it up for $89 + Shipping which Skrpune said came out to about $101
    Yup, a whopping 100.10 total for something that, without the student discount, would have cost over $500 with shipping. icon_eek.gif

So while I may be paying out the arse for my tuition right now, at least it's getting me some sweet discounts!! :D I am *totally* going to take advantage of this discount again in the future.

Nobylspoon - so how does the trial version work...temp log on to a streamed of the software? Do you get access to it all (sims, questions, etc.) or just the videos?

skrpune wrote: »
    Yup, a whopping 100.10 total for something that, without the student discount, would have cost over $500 with shipping. icon_eek.gif

So while I may be paying out the arse for my tuition right now, at least it's getting me some sweet discounts!! :D I am *totally* going to take advantage of this discount again in the future.

Nobylspoon - so how does the trial version work...temp log on to a streamed of the software? Do you get access to it all (sims, questions, etc.) or just the videos?

You create a new login and click the request trial button, it will ask for email address and phone number. They email you a key to use in the activation key window and your user name is setup.

When you log in you have a listing of all their software and you just simply click the one you want to work on and it loads. From what I can see you get 100% access to their software during the trial, I have gone through several sims, videos, demos and questions without restriction. It is all streaming so it takes up a very small footprint. You get unlimited access to all their titles during the 7 day trial.
    WGU PROGRESS

hey, how are those last few days of studying going?

hey, how are those last few days of studying going?

Pretty good, I read the MS Press book cover to cover and took a couple of practice test, had 3 weak areas so I have been going through those on the Testout course but I had a ton of stuff thrown at me this week that really messed up my schedule and I couldnt get in as much study time as I was expecting.

I think I will do fine but worst case I registered my second shot voucher just in case.
    WGU PROGRESS

Here's to you and i passing our tests!! Mine is scheduled for the 16th.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Here's to you and i passing our tests!! Mine is scheduled for the 16th.

Awesome, good luck to you. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU PROGRESS

good luck to you both!

Awesome, good luck to you. icon_thumright.gif

You too!
    good luck to you both!

WGU PROGRESS

• excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you passed yet? Have you passed yet? (Fingers crossed)
    Mooooo
    Have you passed yet? Have you passed yet? (Fingers crossed)

Just got back and I passed with an 850!

I think I had the max amount of possible sims on that exam, seems like every other question was one lol.

The 7 day free trial of Testout was a really big help.
    WGU PROGRESS

Nice!!!!!

It did seem that the sims never stopped....
    Mooooo
    Nice!!!!!

It did seem that the sims never stopped....

To reward myself I have a nice upgrade for my computer to max out my motherboard...

AMD 64 X2 6400+ (upgrade from 4200)
    NVIDIA 9800GTX
    8GB OCZ DDR2 800 RAM
    Hot swap HDD bay
    Another 1TB HDD

Along with a fresh install of Vista for that new operating system smell that I love so much.

This should hold me over until the Windows 7 release when I build my Core i7 system.
    WGU PROGRESS

congrats!!
    NVIDIA 9800GTX
    8GB OCZ DDR2 800 RAM
    Hot swap HDD bay
    Another 1TB HDD
    QUOTE]

Ohhhh now that's nice. Now all you need is a VMWorkstation install with lots and lots of trial installs for any other exams :)

I had a difficult decision to make: A better core 2 or a Phenom X3! I choose X3 for the extra core... VMWare should appreciate that.

8Gb OCZ... To think, 128Mb was a lot once.
    Mooooo
    NVIDIA 9800GTX
    8GB OCZ DDR2 800 RAM
    Hot swap HDD bay
    Another 1TB HDD
    QUOTE]

Ohhhh now that's nice. Now all you need is a VMWorkstation install with lots and lots of trial installs for any other exams :)

I had a difficult decision to make: A better core 2 or a Phenom X3! I choose X3 for the extra core... VMWare should appreciate that.

8Gb OCZ... To think, 128Mb was a lot once.

I got everything installed last night and did all 74 Vista updates while I slept and I am very happy with my upgrade. My index score went from 3.5 to 5.5 :D

I am getting VMWare Workstation with the educational discount. I will be using my schools MS Academic Alliance for all my VM downloads. That was the main reason for the hot swap drive bay.
    WGU PROGRESS

congrats!!

WGU PROGRESS

Kudos to MS on speed. I tested Saturday and they have already emailed me my login info to the MCP site to order my welcome kit. I figured it would be atleast a week before I got the email.
    WGU PROGRESS

they are quick. i got my congratulations notice at around 10pm on the same day i took my test.