2801 router

blowfishblowfish Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone explain the benfit of getting a 2801 router for voice instead of a 26xx ?
also im assuming a Vic2Fxs card from a 1750 router can fit in a 2801

Thanx for the replies

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    blowfish wrote: »
    im assuming a Vic2Fxs card from a 1750 router can fit in a 2801
    Unless something has changed lately, they are not supported. You need the VIC2 versions to work. The VIC-2DID and VIC-4FXS/DID seem to be the only old VIC cards supported.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • blowfishblowfish Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what about the comparison about getting a 2801 instead of a 26xx ?
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    blowfish wrote: »
    what about the comparison about getting a 2801 instead of a 26xx ?

For lab or for production? The 26xx (would have to be an XM) is technically past its end of life which means no further CME support (maxes out at 4.0.x).

26xx (for lab) Pros - Cheap modules (NM-2V, analog FXO/FXS); Can do most of what you need, including CUE support
    26xx (for lab) Cons - No native DSP support, need to add expensive NM-HD modules for digital voice VICs; Limited to 48MB of flash; Slow boot times

28xx Pros - Native DSP support; Can do everything; fast boot times
    28xx Cons - Everything is newer and therefore way more expensive (PVDM2, VIC2s and so on)

To get around the flash limitation on my 26xx voice routers I boot the IOS from a T-FTP server - this frees up plenty of flash real estate for phone, GUI, and CME files.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Unless something has changed lately, they are not supported. You need the VIC2 versions to work. The VIC-2DID and VIC-4FXS/DID seem to be the only old VIC cards supported.

This is correct - I tried a VIC-2FXO in a 2851 and it didn't see it.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • blowfishblowfish Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the most informative response Pitviper