Options

CCVP with not experience and Job Market?

javbjavb Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have experience in VoIP (Asterisk), around 3 years, im also a Telecommunications Engineer (4 years bachelor degree). With experience in Linux, Asterisk and i'm also CCNA certified.

The thing is that i'm planning to become CCVP, but studing by myself or taking a bootcamp, but i wont have "the experience" required for a good job on the Cisco Call Manager / VoIP Platform.

So, how am i going to take advantage of my VoIP no-Cisco experience, combine it with the Certification and then get a real good job?

I also would like to know about the best areas in the US for this time of industry?

Whatever you want to say, please share you experience..

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    javb wrote: »
    I have experience in VoIP (Asterisk), around 3 years, im also a Telecommunications Engineer (4 years bachelor degree). With experience in Linux, Asterisk and i'm also CCNA certified.

The thing is that i'm planning to become CCVP, but studing by myself or taking a bootcamp, but i wont have "the experience" required for a good job on the Cisco Call Manager / VoIP Platform.

So, how am i going to take advantage of my VoIP no-Cisco experience, combine it with the Certification and then get a real good job?

I also would like to know about the best areas in the US for this time of industry?

Whatever you want to say, please share you experience..

We have hired quys who worked on different VOIP platroms to come work here. We have actually even hired people with no voip experience at all(thats where I fall in). It all depends on the company.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Having some VoIP experience is a good thing even if it is not on a strictly Cisco set up. Try to get as much hands on labs as possible durring study to get a feel for things. Just be honest with respective employers that most of your experience is outside of Cisco but you have a strong VoIP background. I don't think you should have too much of an issue finding something as long as you know your stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've said it before, but I still laugh when I write it-- we've wasted lots of time interviewing people who couldn't make a phone call if you gave them a pay phone and a pocket full of change. icon_lol.gif

I've also suggested in the past that people find a Cisco Business Partner in their area now and try to get a job with them -- start out as the person putting the phones on the desk if you have to. And you should study hard and move up from there.

If you went to a good University and got good grades, your education is a definite Plus. icon_thumright.gif Knowledge and skills acquired on non-Cisco products -- if you can demonstrate them to a prospective employer -- are a Plus even if they were just labs and projects in school. icon_thumright.gif

I don't think there are enough knowledgeable and skilled CCVPs out there to fill the demand. But there definitely lots of people out their who've cheated on their certification(s) and lie or "puff up" their experience on their resume.

The hard part is getting that meeting where you get to try and convince someone that you have the knowledge and skill and drive and desire to excel that could make them lots of money.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NOCupNOCup Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't sell yourself short. I wouldn't say you have no experience at all. You know how PRIs work. You know how telco works. This knowledge is very important. We deal with telco all the time to troubleshooting circuit and call routing issues. Knowing how to deal with telco is a very nice skill to have.
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NOCup is spot on, buddy. Dealing w/ Telco is very useful for any IP telephony engr.
    I have met quite some managers that prefer to a guy from Cisco network or any IP telephony system than a TDM guy. I know Mike once mentioned the opposite feeling. But hey, I am a newbie so please bear with me.
    At the beginning of 2009, I heard AON and Gallager decided to convert to Cisco IP and retire Nortel PBX. Both are giant insurance broker companies w/ thousands of phones (1st and 3rd largest in the world?). I guess it's good news for us all....
  • Options
    jammysamjammysam Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi friend,

First of all thanks a lot for giving a nice info. It would be great for us tell us how to apply for that companies. I got CCVP certified and looking for opening

Thanks

Sam