Options

CCIE Sec Lab Diary - or how to make Ahriakin's brain implode

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had 2 big gaps in my Lab timetable, one for this week and another for Jan 2nd-9th and I felt like I needed some structured study time to help get things back on track after Xmas so I booked a Proctor Labs slot for tonight at 11pm and a Gradedlabs double for Jan 4th. Tonight will just be mini-labs 8,9,10,12 from the IPexpert book, mainly VPN3K/Switching/IPS/NAC to fill in the ones I can't do easily on my home setup. Altogether they rate them at 13 hours, but they do tend to overestimate timeframes so I'm hoping I can squash them all into a 7:45 session.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One thing that I've been curious about is what you thought about the books on the recommended reading list. I saw you mention this:
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Most of the books on the recommended reading list (about half paper and the rest on Safari).

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=264950#264950

and you touched on the certification guide a couple posts later, but it would be interesting to hear what you had say about each book.

I'll even format them all nicely for you :D

Cisco Press Titles
    • Advanced Host Intrusion Prevention with CSA (Asher, Mauvais, Sullivan, ISBN# 1587052520)
    • CCIE Practical Studies: Security (CCIE Self-Study) (Bokotey, Mason, Morrow, ISBN# 1587051109)
    • CCIE Security Exam Certification Guide (CCIE Self-Study), 2nd Edition (Benjamin, ISBN: 1587201356)
    • CCIE Security Practice Labs (CCIE Self-Study) (Bhaiji, ISBN# 1587051346)
    • CCSP IPS Exam Certification Guide (Carter, ISBN# 1587201461)
    • Cisco Access Control Security: AAA Administration Services (Carroll, ISBN# 1587051249)
    • Cisco ASA: All-in-One Firewall, IPS, and VPN Adaptive Security Appliance (Frahim, Santos, ISBN# 1587052091)
    • Cisco ASA and PIX Firewall Handbook (Hucaby, ISBN# 1587051583)
    • Cisco Network Security Troubleshooting Handbook (Hoda, ISBN# 1587051893)
    • Cisco Router Firewall Security (Deal, ISBN# 1587051753)
    • Cisco Security Agent (Sullivan, ISBN# 1587052059)
    • Comparing, Designing, and Deploying VPNs (Lewis, ISBN# 1587051796)
    • Designing Network Security, Second Edition (Kaeo, ISBN# 1587051176)
    • Intrusion Prevention Fundamentals (Carter, Hogue, ISBN# 1587052393)
    • IPSec VPN Design (Bollapragada, Khalid, Wainner, ISBN# 1587051117)
    • Network Security Architectures (Convery, ISBN# 158705115X)
    • Network Security Fundamentals (De Laet, Schauwers, ISBN# 1587051672)
    • Network Security Principles and Practices (Malik, ISBN# 1587050250)
    • Penetration Testing and Network Defense (Newman, Whitaker, ISBN# 1587052083)
    • Routing TCP/IP, Volume I, Second Edition (Carroll, Doyle, ISBN# 1587052024)
    • Routing TCP/IP, Volume 2 (Doyle, DeHaven Carroll, ISBN# 1578700892)
    • Securing Your Business with Cisco ASA and PIX Firewalls (Abelar, ISBN# 158705214icon_cool.gif
    • The Complete Cisco VPN Configuration Guide (Deal, ISBN# 1587052040)
    • Troubleshooting Virtual Private Networks (VPN) (Lewis, ISBN# 1587051044)
    • Troubleshooting IP Routing Protocols (Aziz, Liu, Martey, Shamim, ISBN# 1587050196)
    • Router Security Strategies: Securing IP Network Traffic Planes (Schudel, Smith, ISBN# 1587053365)
    • Network Security Technologies and Solutions (Bhaiji, ISBN# 1587052466)
    Other Publications
    • Cisco Security Architectures (Held and Hundley, McGraw Hill, ISBN# B00005UMKL)
    • Firewalls and Internet Security, Second Edition (Cheswick, Bellovin, and Rubin, Addison-Wesley, ISBN# 020163466X)
    • Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume I: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (4th Edition) (Comer and Stevens, Prentice Hall, ISBN# 0130183806)
    • Internet Security Protocols : Protecting IP Traffic (Black, Prentice Hall, ISBN# 0130142492)
    • IPSec: The New Security Standard for the Internet, Intranet and Virtual Private Networks (Doraswamy and Harkins, Prentice Hall, ISBN# 013046189X)
    • ISDN : Concepts, Facilities, and Services (Kessler and Southwick, McGraw Hill, ISBN# 0070342490)
    • Network Security: Private Communication in a Public World, Second Edition (Kaufman, Perlman, Speciner, Prentice Hall, ISBN# 0130460192)
    • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated : Volume 1)(Stevens, Addison Wesley, ISBN# 0201633469)
    • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated : Volume 2) (Stevens and Wright, Addison Wesley, ISBN# 020163354X)
    • TCP for Transactions, HTTP, NNTP, and the UNIX(R) Domain Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated : Volume 3) (Stevens, Addison Wesley, ISBN# 0201634953)

I know that's a pretty tall order, so I'm content to wait until after the pass icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Done :) . I updated the post near the start that listed completed labs to now include the book list. I had planned on doing this at the end anyway but there's no reason not to start now.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Well I got through the Switch and IPS labs and then was too tired to finish NAC, and looking at the layout I can actually mock up a similar setup on my home lab, it might not be identical but it'll be functional.
    The switching lab (9) I'd done before and it was very simple, just some VLAN work with a teeeeny bit of port security.
    The IPS Lab (10, 3 sections A/B/C) was pretty good too. The 1st and largest section covered PIX and IOS IPS and then Promiscuous monitoring with the IPS Sensor. The other 2 sections where sensor only but changed the topology for Inline and VLAN Pairs. Pretty straightforward stuff but worth the practice. I made a point of wiping the configs between each section to reinforce the basic configs, just to get faster at them.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Sounds like things are coming along. When is your lab date set for again?
  • Options
    21st of Jan
  • Options
    Oh right, I am exactly 1 week after you!

Are you feeling less nervous this time around?
  • Options
    Yeah, actually I'm more anxious to have another stab than nervous. It's harder to focus this time around I think, in trying to be efficient and focus more on my weaker areas than the whole blueprint I often end up skipping through material faster than I should. Anyway, we'll see. Just starting an IEWB double now. Doing their Lab 3 (8/10) mainly as it has a NAC section.
  • Options
    Well I just finished an attempt at IPExpert lab 16, and it's complete muck. I gave up trying to fix their messed up VLANs and switch configs. Every single section to about halfway (when I stopped) had problems because of their initial configs. Most were caused by glitchy switches (where ports were assigned to the correct vlan but had to be set to another and then back to actually register the vlan existed), a completely hosed VTP setup, apparent changes to the Proctorlabs topology that the switchport tasks didn't account for and conflicting requirements in the tasks to do with VLAN assignments for a DMZ subinterface on the PIX - where it essentially cannot work the way they want, spent ages on that one as right after it is the IPS in inline mode so lots of avenues to troubleshoot as to why there was not outside connectivity. I'm supposed to be working on security technology not fixing their half assed attempts at an initial setup.
    Pissed (in case that isn't obvious).

Other than that the last few days I've been reading Cisco Nac Volume II. Not a bad read but only really 3 chapters relevant for the lab, and each device chapter spends half it's time showing you how to setup VPNs on the devices (okay it's a pre-requisites for the clients with the 3K and ASA but it's not the thrust of the book). Worth a quick read if you have a Safari Sub but I wouldn't buy it just for the lab. Maybe Blueprint 3 as that will include NAC on Routers etc. which the book does cover (and blueprint 2 does not).
  • Options
    Redid IEWB Lab 7 (8/10) last night. Quite a good little lab with a bit of jumping around between tasks. Like the others I already did a more indepth review of this one first time around so I won't bore you with the details.
    I'm now re-reading the Cisco Router Firewall Security book.
  • Options
    SNIP - Editing previous posts has been restored so I moved this to the start....nothing to see...move along ;)
  • Options
    Still taking my time re-reading The Router Firewall Security book. This will be my last read of it so I'm labbing each section that I kinda knew but was leaving to the DOCs to makesure I've been into every little corner.
    I'm starting to get nervous about the exam again. It's been hard getting as focused this time as last and that scares me, but at the same time when I do lab I remember a lot more offhand than I did back them, I'm just afraid something else will disappear into the fog while I focus on troublepoints.
    Anyway another IPExpert lab tonight to shake any cobwebs off.
  • Options
    IPexpert Lab 17 - Multiprotocol Challenge E , down. Overall I think it was an okay lab, nothing majorly challenging but I still made some stupid mistakes - stuff I think (hope) I'd catch on review in the real thing but still no point taking that for granted. Most of the work was upfront with configuration of the PIX and ASA's, Transparent mode for the PIX and failover for the ASA (with a DMZ thrown in to keep you on your toes, required extra reconfiguration of the switches). Surprisingly little AAA and the IPS section was extremely simple. There was a very tricky section on BGP filtering that I think is just outright wrong in that you are asked to filter routers advertised from one of the BBx's (which are untouchable in the real lab), I got most of the way through it doing up my route map but was unsure on just how to apply it within BGP (I'm used to doing this with RTBH Filtering with redistribution only) so I checked the solutions guide....and they wanted you to configure BB2 itself, with essentially the same route-map details but easier since you are tagging as you advertise....BUT that's a complete no-no in the lab. Also they constantly mixed up the PIX and ASA as in most of their labs the PIX is used in the position that the 2xASAs were, so a lot of the tasks that involved both devices were confusing as to what they really wanted you to work on since both devices were on the same segment (the PIX was transparent). Again a little proofreading before printing would go a long way. There were a few other small things like Access-lists that would be specific at the start and then end with the same networks allowed to any after a restrictive statement for one particular subnet (that the ANYs are allowed to anyway), completely redundant if you just put the ANYs first. It's the type of thing that doesn't break the lab but seems sloppy and creates a bad image of an otherwise decent lab. That's what I'm finding a lot with IPexpert's workbook, IEWB have their mistakes too but not as many and usually down to typoes or a statement missing at random, the type of things that do look like simple mistakes vs. a lack of quality control. Still I prefer Proctorlabs rack setup to Gradelabs (newer hardware, faster performing VMs and a better customer interface imho), if only I could mix the 2 :).
    Anyway, another one down and some dust shaken off the braincells. Next full lab is Sunday night.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Still taking my time re-reading The Router Firewall Security book. This will be my last read of it so I'm labbing each section that I kinda knew but was leaving to the DOCs to makesure I've been into every little corner.
    I'm starting to get nervous about the exam again. It's been hard getting as focused this time as last and that scares me, but at the same time when I do lab I remember a lot more offhand than I did back them, I'm just afraid something else will disappear into the fog while I focus on troublepoints.
    Anyway another IPExpert lab tonight to shake any cobwebs off.

You are doing fine. We are a small band of brothers, yourself, GT-Rob and I. I'm confident we will all get through this year. Just keep grinding the grist. I think with the spector of the first lab attempt behind you it's going to help you. You can settle in now and try and clear the exam within four attempts. GT-Rob and myself still have our first sortee coming up. I think you will find yourself more relaxed in your next trip and with the passage of time more things will come easily to you. I think the main thing is to keep the workrate up to build on what you have already done and it's obvious to me that's happening for you.
  • Options
    Thankee sir. If I don't get it this time I'm going to take a break and do the CCNP, then maybe retry at the end of the summer. We're getting exhausted doing this, and I can't keep throwing exam fees (and travel and board etc.) at it. But we'll see. Besides I'd planned on doing the CCNP anyway afterwards regardless.

Anyway. Tonight was IPexpert lab 18, and I am now officially warning anyone off this workbook. The small labs are fine, but the larger ones are hit and miss for errors. Just about all of them have messed up VLAN setups, which is not too hard to resolve if you just write your own VTP setup and set the switches accordingly, very vague wording, some tasks you absolutely could not do in the lab, and tonight's has been 90 minutes of pulling my hair out looking for problems in the initial configs - one of the subnets on the diagram was totally different to the task/initial config list, one of the router configs was totally hosed (seriously, not little mistakes, like whoever wrote it was drunk), essentially after pasting the initial configs there wasn't even basic reachability for a large segment of the network meaning that it was not tested even once by the vendor. I checked their forums and problems were reported over 18 months ago, the only reply from the vendor was 3 weeks later saying they did not understand the guy's english (which was clear enough) and then nothing. No quality control and worse no apparent wish to correct serious problems.
    If it isn't obvious I'm disgusted.

I have one more session booked with Proctorlabs for Friday and that is the only reason I'll even attempt the last lab in the book. If I had known this when I was booking rack time I would have just repeated the IEWB labs. Now it's too late to get back-backs with them. I might see what I can do in single sessions with them instead if they have any free this week. Otherwise I'll just focus on my own stuff.
  • Options
    Righty, some space had freed up since I last looked. Booked IEWB single sessions for Tuesday, Wed and a double on Thursday. Not much time for their labs on the singles so I'll probably just do the 6/10s as a speed trial, the double will be something harder. Going to be an intense week, but what else would I be doing ;)
  • Options
    Got logged in last night, did the initial configuration on the remote rack and my internet went down. It came back up around 6am. Fun. Hopefully it won't happen tonight. In the meantime I finally got around to starting Troubleshooting IP Protocols, it's a pretty good read so far and I'll do a better review of it later, I hope to finish it today.
  • Options
    I've another single IEWB session again in a few mins and I hope my ISP have their problems sorted, whenever there is something serious they tend to kill the connection around 12:30 am or so (thankfully rare but I can't afford to miss labtime this week).
    I finished up Troubleshooting IP Protocols this evening. It's a pretty large book but a lot of it is made up of troubleshooting flowcharts and then there are sections on things like ISIS and dial-on-demand sections for each protocol that you don't need for the lab so it's not that hard to skim through it. I think this one is more of a real world handbook in that it is excellently broken down into distinct and concise sections that summarise, explain and provide verification and troubleshooting instructions for the most common problems rather than providing a lot of indepth theory, still since in the Security lab we are constantly breaking connectivity and having to restore it securely knowing how to troubleshoot Routing protocols more efficiently is very important. I wouldn't say it's as essential a read for the Security lab as the Network Security Troubleshooting Handbook but worth a read (Also I spotted possible solutions for some oddness I've seen in my online racks, stuff that should not be happening like OSPF not loading to full etc. when the configs are correct)
  • Options
    I felt like crap this evening, completely messed up sleeping patterns left me with about 3 hours of snooze time in the last 2 days but -Woohoo, the internet didn't crap out on me so I actually got something done. It's nice to be back to IEWB again, at least their mistakes are few, small and forgivable. Lab 1 is just a 6/10 but it still has it's tricky moments, I only had 5.5 hours (knock off about 40 mins for setup and then food later) so I left out the VPN section and the more mundane tasks that didn't affect anything else. Got some nice practice in on MPF, AAA and RTBH (don't ya love acronyms) so it was a constructive session. Tomorrow is a double IEWB so I'll do one of the 8s or the single 9/10. Then an IPExpert session on friday (had it booked long before the last mess so I may aswell try the last one in the book....and that's it folks, after that it's GNS3 and my library.
  • Options
    I redid IEWB lab 10 , Difficulty 9/10 . A very good lab except for one ridiculous task involving manual ISAKMP keying (which I described in my original review). There were a lot of simple translation and ACL tasks near the beginning that aren't there to see if you can do them but to create some nasty blackholes for later tasks if you forget them. A very good section on MPF and AAA which i really wanted to practice. I did a little worse this time on WebVPN than I remember from last time, but better on NAC. I think my first attempt at this one was right after I'd read the Cisco Press SSL VPN Handbook which explains that, but regardless I need to go over WebVPN on the ASA again. Just as I thought focusing on problem areas has let some others I took for granted get rusty.
    The 3rd day of heavy labbing in a row and not much sleep in between so I'm exhausted. Tomorrow is an IPExpert session with the last in their book. I booked another IEWB single session for Saturday as the one yesterday was very helpful (much more than I thought a quick/single session could be), I think WebVPN is covered on one of the other labs so I'll try and give it a go again.
  • Options
    I redid IEWB lab 10 , Difficulty 9/10 . A very good lab except for one ridiculous task involving manual ISAKMP keying (which I described in my original review). There were a lot of simple translation and ACL tasks near the beginning that aren't there to see if you can do them but to create some nasty blackholes for later tasks if you forget them. A very good section on MPF and AAA which i really wanted to practice. I did a little worse this time on WebVPN than I remember from last time, but better on NAC. I think my first attempt at this one was right after I'd read the Cisco Press SSL VPN Handbook which explains that, but regardless I need to go over WebVPN on the ASA again. Just as I thought focusing on problem areas has let some others I took for granted get rusty.
    The 3rd day of heavy labbing in a row and not much sleep in between so I'm exhausted. Tomorrow is an IPExpert session with the last in their book. I booked another IEWB single session for Saturday as the one yesterday was very helpful (much more than I thought a quick/single session could be), I think WebVPN is covered on one of the other labs so I'll try and give it a go again.

Back to back sessions work. I will be doing a few next week once I have dropped our visitor off at the airport. Sounds like you are getting some good racktime in there my friend.
  • Options
    Aye with IEWB I think you need doubles to fully appreciate them. You could rush like hell to get them done in 5.5 hours but you wouldn't have much time to actually learn as you go. But then of course if you were capable of finishing one in that time (correctly) I'm not sure how much learning you'd actually need ;) . Tonight was the last IPexpert full, and it was actually pretty decent. Much tougher than the others. There were a few glitches like the fact that they are changing the racks for the new blueprint and had moved the ACS and test PC to a different switch than diagrammed, also as standard now I just write my own VTP config for all switches and apply it at the start (saves you a lot of headaches later). Still this one was workable, especially compared to the last few. It's funny, I saw a post on one mailing list yesterday with someone else complaining about the state of the initial configs (mainly 18 which is broken) and the response from another user was that was just to be expected and it could happen in the real world....er....okay....yes it could, but it shouldn't on a training product that has a definite set of mistakes (not deliberate errors, those are fine) that interfere with the core focus of the product - especially when these problems were literally reported years ago and the configs haven't been modified in almost 18 months. Sorry, getting into a rant again, just the complacency and sloppiness bug me more than the actual mistakes - to err is human, to continue to sell a sub standard product that could very easily be fixed is not. So, just a single IEWB tomorrow so I'll probably do the same as I did last time in picking a tough enough lab but skipping the VPN section to save time. I need to focus now on WebVPN, polish AAA authorization and a bit more on route-maps and inspection policy-maps. I started re-reading the Cisco PIX and ASA Handbook today too. I am an idiot. I had it and the Cisco ASA All in one.. since the CCSP and I remembered one was better than the other, stupid me figured it was the ASA All in one and re-read that last. Its still a good book but the PIX and ASA Handbook is much better. It has the single best section I've seen on MPF, lots of great detail on Inspection maps. I hope to finish that one this weekend, then skim the Cisco VPN Configuration guide on the flight and that's it.....
    icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gifsleeping.gificon_eek.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif (rinse, repeat)
  • Options
    I ended up doing IEWB Lab 2 (6/10). Another relatively simple one but still some good practice on NAT and a decent amount of MPF work. Again no point with an indepth look at it as I did that first time around. I actually got the whole thing (minus the IPS as the connection to it kept dropping off) done in about 5 hours which is a plus, a few mistakes here and there but stuff I know I would have caught on review....easy to say when it's only a 6 though ;) Im not fooling myself it means anything significant, just boost my confidence a little that my speed is better.

I went through another few hundred pages on the PIX and ASA Handbook and am about halfway through. I aim to finish it tomorrow.
  • Options
    I ended up doing IEWB Lab 2 (6/10). Another relatively simple one but still some good practice on NAT and a decent amount of MPF work. Again no point with an indepth look at it as I did that first time around. I actually got the whole thing (minus the IPS as the connection to it kept dropping off) done in about 5 hours which is a plus, a few mistakes here and there but stuff I know I would have caught on review....easy to say when it's only a 6 though ;) Im not fooling myself it means anything significant, just boost my confidence a little that my speed is better.

I went through another few hundred pages on the PIX and ASA Handbook and am about halfway through. I aim to finish it tomorrow.

Best of British luck with your second attempt. You're close. I don't know what your intentions are if you don't clear it this time but I would advise you to press on and schedule another attempt. You're in the zone now and if you slacken off it will take you time to get back up there if you move away from IE preparation for a while.
  • Options
    Yey, made it safe and sound again (maybe its just me but I always appreciate having spent 7 hours in a hypersonic metal tube 35000ft in the sky and not ending in a fiery death. I'm exhausted though, really bad sleep patterns for the last week and we had to be up pretty early this morning. I'm tempted to take a nap but I don't want to overdo sleep so I can get it easier tomorrow night.
    Anyway. Finished the last of the handbook at the airport and I might do some light note skimming today.

Thanks Turgon. I rushed out right after the last one (literally that night) and rebooked which I think was a mistake, I am more confident about this one but I still wish I had left it a few months more to be sure, the first time I could live with as a reconaissance run but if I fail this time it will hit me hard. It's also been hard on the missus, with her working nights (I try to match as much as I can) and me labbing + Studying + work the last few months have left us both emotionally exhausted. We've agreed to take a break (and it will just be a break) regardless of what happens on wed. No rebooking straight away, no checking out the jobmarket for a while if it goes the otherway, just have some time for ourselves again. As important a goal as the CCIE is it's all too easy to spend so much time chasing things to make your life better that you forget to live it. Which I think you know well since you planned yours a LOT better than I did ;), that's what I was thinking about in my last post in your thread. So yeah if it doesn't work out then I'm going to do the CCNP, bone up on the new blueprint over time and see about sitting it again before the end of the year, but no hurry.

Anyway gotta go get a shower and get comfy.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gifsleeping.gificon_eek.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif (rinse, repeat)
    Don't forget to finish out that cycle with sleeping.gificon_eek.gificon_cool.gificon_cheers.gifdrunken_smilie.gifsleeping.gifthen repeat drunken_smilie.gifsleeping.gif as necessary.

Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    As important a goal as the CCIE is it's all too easy to spend so much time chasing things to make your life better that you forget to live it

Wise words sir! Good luck and we all look forward to hearing how it goes ;)
  • Options
    Yey, made it safe and sound again (maybe its just me but I always appreciate having spent 7 hours in a hypersonic metal tube 35000ft in the sky and not ending in a fiery death. I'm exhausted though, really bad sleep patterns for the last week and we had to be up pretty early this morning. I'm tempted to take a nap but I don't want to overdo sleep so I can get it easier tomorrow night.
    Anyway. Finished the last of the handbook at the airport and I might do some light note skimming today.

Thanks Turgon. I rushed out right after the last one (literally that night) and rebooked which I think was a mistake, I am more confident about this one but I still wish I had left it a few months more to be sure, the first time I could live with as a reconaissance run but if I fail this time it will hit me hard. It's also been hard on the missus, with her working nights (I try to match as much as I can) and me labbing + Studying + work the last few months have left us both emotionally exhausted. We've agreed to take a break (and it will just be a break) regardless of what happens on wed. No rebooking straight away, no checking out the jobmarket for a while if it goes the otherway, just have some time for ourselves again. As important a goal as the CCIE is it's all too easy to spend so much time chasing things to make your life better that you forget to live it. Which I think you know well since you planned yours a LOT better than I did ;), that's what I was thinking about in my last post in your thread. So yeah if it doesn't work out then I'm going to do the CCNP, bone up on the new blueprint over time and see about sitting it again before the end of the year, but no hurry.

Anyway gotta go get a shower and get comfy.

Thanks man. This is a very illusive test. You can have experience, talent and work your ass off studying for this exam and still come up short. Readers should be under no illusion of the personal sacrifice required. 18000 active CCIEs worldwide is a small return given how long the track has been going and how many wannabies have chased this cert. But you are close and close people pass this test if they keep going.

Good luck in there!
  • Options
    *Twiddling Thumbs*

I got up early this morning, 7am, to avoid the oversleep from last time that made sleep before the exam even harder. I don't drive (never learned, yes shock horror and amazement, guess it's a but of a phobia at this stage) so no getting around. I did bring plenty of movies and recordings of season 3 of Dexter but I couldn't just watch the laptop all day....well since I really have maybe that should be I couldn't just watch movies on the laptop all day. I've been trying to break things up and went over some of the Advanced Tech videos on AAA, no no not a mad last minute panic thing that could mess my head up for tomorrow, I just needed the variety, read over the Cisco Docs for Webvpn again and discovered I really hate Jimmy Smitts character in Dexter. So exciting stuff. Overate at lunch as I hadn't had much yesterday and am now paying for it.

The exciting last day before the lab eh? :) Bit of an anticlimax.
  • Options
    Last post of the night, last before exam number 2.
    I resisted the urge to hit the books again and just watched Dexter all evening, much to the detrement of my neck. It's not my favourite show in the universe but it is probably one of the most consistently good. 3 Seasons in and the writing is still as complex, funny and brilliantly twisted as ever, and Jimmy Smitts character has gotten less annoying...a little...
    So off to try and get some ZZzzz's. Next update will be tomorrow after the deed *cue ominous organ music*