holy crap...used DSQUERY IRL

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
When i was prepping for 290 early 2008, and I saw the DS commands...I was like, "who in the world would make this garbage, and why would anyone use it over the gui?" I thought it was funny, today I actually needed to use DSQUERY...thought I would share my unfounded cynicism.

Comments

• wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LOL xD

Dont ever underestimate the need for cmd scripting!!!

Here is a scenario for you:

you need to make 1000 users in active directory.

2 Answers:

1. Make them manually with the gui and add home folder permissions manually...

2. use DSADD to add the users and CACLS for permissions on home folders...

which would you use? lol.
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    brad- wrote: »
    When i was prepping for 290 early 2008, and I saw the DS commands...I was like, "who in the world would make this garbage, and why would anyone use it over the gui?" I thought it was funny, today I actually needed to use DSQUERY...thought I would share my unfounded cynicism.

The funny part is I can relate to where you are coming from. I used to think why would I bother learning the DS commands when you can use the snap ins. Well trust me LEARN DS COMMANDS!! they are your bread and butter and you can do so much more with ds commands then the gui will offer. Not to mention when you create a custom querry using active directory users and computers you still might have to learn the syntax. I can't stress enough learn the commands and you will see where this relates to other aspects of AD including LDAP attributes.
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Yeah, I can understand. When I started actually using the commands on the server, I found out how much easier and quicker it is to create and modify multiple user accounts. It definitely comes in handy.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • DaggedDagged Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    can you recom some good web where i can learn ds syntax because in my book they just pointed about this but don't learn. It is probably they are not on exam but i want to learn it. Thanks in advance
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Command-line reference A-Z: Scripting; Management Services

There's a lot of information about all the commands there. If that's still not what you're looking for, just google dsquery examples, or whatever you're looking for. There's tons of stuff out there.
  • DaggedDagged Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks, btw typing dsmod syntax in google i found this forum icon_smile.gif