Going round 3 with the beast tomorrow!

The first time I took it, I failed. But, it was a free voucher and I didn't study very hard. Second time, about a year later, I bought the test with Second Shot in December. Failed with like a 641, and I was so pissed I didn't even go back to work that day. I thought that taking the test, I was doing well and I'd pass it. I studied using Microsoft online training and Transcender.

Wish me luck! I'm planning on hitting DNS and network security pretty hard today! And I thought I was pretty good with DNS...
Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
70-648 - Done
70-643 - In progress
70-647 - Still on my list
70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
www.thecoans.net
www.facebook.com/tylercoan
www.twitter.com/tylercoan
www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go slay the beast.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Good luck, go collect those bunny ears!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Well, didn't really slay the beast. More like I wounded it and it died later. I passed with a 700 on the nose. Now just need that stupid windows XP test to become MCSA. All downhill from here guys.

For those planning on taking the beast: hit DNS, DHCP, WSUS, and IPSec pretty hard...or pretty muchly know everything the test covers. Microsoft should really seperate some of these topics out to make the beast more manageable. It would make it much easier to study for.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Well, didn't really slay the beast. More like I wounded it and it died later. I passed with a 700 on the nose. Now just need that stupid windows XP test to become MCSA. All downhill from here guys.

For those planning on taking the beast: hit DNS, DHCP, WSUS, and IPSec pretty hard...or pretty muchly know everything the test covers. Microsoft should really seperate some of these topics out to make the beast more manageable. It would make it much easier to study for.

I hear ya. Should of divided the test in half. Would of been easier. Scheduling mines in a month for 3rd attempt as well. It did cover RRAS right?
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    If you use DNS/DHCP on a regular basis this part of the exam isnt hard. IPSec and RRAS for me were the ones that killed me the first time I took the exam. But its like before -- practice makes perfect.

Also -- dont rely only on the MS Press book unless you have working experience with Server 2003.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your pass.
    Mmartin_47 wrote: »
    It did cover RRAS right?

Pfft, like you need to know RRAS to pass this test. icon_wink.gif

I'm kidding, you should study it for the test
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Yeah, I think I remember RRAS was on there. Kinda hard to remember with all the DHCP and DNS questions... Study it, it'll be on there.

70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! A pass is a pass, no matter what score you get! :)
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats on the test. You shouldn't have any issues with XP after these 2 tests. Keep us posted!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    subl1m1nal... Congratulations on passing. Like previously said.. a pass is a pass. Don't make the mistake of others and underestimate the Windows XP test, because that test is HARD.

Willtech105... Thanks for the heads up about the MS Press book. I have 2 Windows 2K3 servers at home, but I was heavily relying on the MS Press book to get me through. Again.. thanks!
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    gravyjoe wrote: »
    subl1m1nal... Congratulations on passing. Like previously said.. a pass is a pass. Don't make the mistake of others and underestimate the Windows XP test, because that test is HARD.

Willtech105... Thanks for the heads up about the MS Press book. I have 2 Windows 2K3 servers at home, but I was heavily relying on the MS Press book to get me through. Again.. thanks!

+1

Do NOT underestimate the 270! That test is hard! Even people who are in IT that have used XP for years still fail this test. There's a lot of programs in XP that people don't know about. You've passed the 291 however, and most people say that it's the hardest MCSA exam. Just study hard and you should be fine. Good luck and congratulations!
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    I passed with a 700 on the nose.

That's what I got on the 2nd try and it was good enough.
  • TheDongerTheDonger Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also -- dont rely only on the MS Press book unless you have working experience with Server 2003.

Any suggestion for a secondary text?
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was tested on IPSec in my 70-270, and i thought it was equally as hard as the 70-290, which i did first by the way :) i wouldnt underestimate any MS exam, they tend to have the kick your a*s attitude. :)
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese