Options

I am confuse

roooul11roooul11 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want to be a network admin.... Is it better to do A+ or network +.... or both>?
Rodney T

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I don't think either one would give you everything you need for a network admin position, but the combination of the two gives you a great foundation. A+ is more hardware/client/standalone oriented, where Network+ will give you an intro to the basics of networking. If you're already strong on the topics listed in the objectives for A+, then you may want to go straight to the Network+.

Have you thought what you want to do beyond A+/Network+? You might want to look into CCNA or MCSA/MCSE or MCITP depending on what type of network you want to support and in what capacity. Would you prefer to be working on servers or on the hardware/infrastructure of a network?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So what is your IT experience? And what do you define as a network admin?

For me a network admin is someone who takes care of a network backbone and the servers that run on it. Sometimes that same network admin would also serve as second level desktop support.

Genreally an entry level network admin should have 2+ years of experience in desktop support in a corporate envionment and a nice selection of Certs like MCSA, MCITP: Server admin, CCNA with a specialization or two, and at least one major app like Exchange, SQL Server etc.

A+ >> Network+ >> Linux+ >> Server+ >> Security+ is a pretty traditional way of getting your grounding while you do some Geek Squad to Help Desk style work.

I personally am not a fan of them Comptia exams and recommand going straight for the entry level exams created by the major players, like Microsoft and Cisco.

I would consider something like this...
    MCTS: 70-620, Configuring Windows Vista
    CCENT - Cisco Entry Level technican

These cert are more flexable and allow you to move into the entry level administrative certs like I mentions above.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would do both. You need to know some about computers when being a net admin. After that I would go the cisco route. Dont expect to be a net admin right after your done with the net+ though it takes years of experience before you get to that point. Best of luck.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Do both, you'll get a lot out of not only being able to work with networking equipment, but also doing "basic" things like PC troubleshooting and custom part-replacements. After that, start looking into the areas of Cisco or Microsoft certification to help further your knowledge and your career. I can also recommend that you look at the Linux+ certification, in order to prepare you for any Linux/Unix issues you might come across, even if you don't plan on being a full-time *NIX admin. If you are interested in Linux and/or Unix, both Red Hat and Sun have certifications that are similar in scope to that of Microsoft and Cisco.

Start with the basics, (A+, Network+, and possibly even Linux+,) and then see what interests you the most. Build on your knowledge, and train towards bigger and better goals.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    On the road to being a network admin, I would say that both are equally important.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    If you are just starting.....plan to acquire both certifications.

IF you want to be a Net Admin, you'll need some other certs too, but yes, the CompTIA exams will be a nice place to start.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    If you do end up getting your A+ and Network+ OR your Network+ and one other CompTIA cert also note you can use them as an elective to getting your MCSA.

That way you would only have to pass the 270, 290, and 291... and you would not have to take the Exchange Server Or security exam elective for that.

If you want to work specifically on networks then you would probably be best off doing straight in to Cisco. Start with your CCNT then go in to your CCNA.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    roooul11roooul11 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    By the way iam doing the mcse and hopefully once I have complete that I'll move to cisco
    Rodney T
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    roooul11 wrote: »
    By the way iam doing the mcse and hopefully once I have complete that I'll move to cisco

So what are your goals exactly?
    If you are working on your MCSE and Going to work on Cisco, why are you here asking us about NET+ and A+ certs?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?