Options

Network Engineer Let Go

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
Whacked my post..

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if they wanted me to pick up somone elses load with mine i need half of the other persons salary for the job he did.. icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    mikedeekmikedeek Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what kind of increase in salary did u get?
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How much more $$$ are you going to be making???

BTW...Congratz on your new position!!! icon_thumright.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Don_PADon_PA Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should feel sad for the other guy who is being let go. icon_sad.gif First off is why is he being let go. Does he have his CCNP or CCIE? icon_eek.gif Is this an economic/business decision (ie he cost to much; he makes too much money) or he did something wrong to get the ax? icon_mad.gif
    CCNA CCDA CWSP CWAP CCA HP Laser Printers MCTS MCSE 2003 JNCIA JNCIS
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    What really burns, is when someone is let go because they are not holding "their load" of the the work, yet 2 week later, the employer hires two people to replace them.
  • Options
    mikedeekmikedeek Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hhisgett wrote:
    What really burns, is when someone is let go because they are not holding "their load" of the the work, yet 2 week later, the employer hires two people to replace them.

i totally agree.........
  • Options
    Don_PA wrote:
    You should feel sad for the other guy who is being let go. icon_sad.gif First off is why is he being let go. Does he have his CCNP or CCIE? icon_eek.gif Is this an economic/business decision (ie he cost to much; he makes too much money) or he did something wrong to get the ax? icon_mad.gif
    He built the entire network, ground up. A damn smart guy. They just did not want to pay him his salary anymore. Hes a good friend of mine & I feel horrible for even mentioning it - I whacked my previous post. He already has another job lined up & hes starting his own LLC. I'm sure I will be doing some work with him in the future. :D
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    see this is why i contract myself .. they would have paid my business to build and support network under contract .. well its good he hit the ground running..
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good for him and his new job. Sometimes things happen for the best.

That's why I will probably stay with a Government job for a while. You have job security. They just can't let you go like a private company can.

Governemnt Job Pros: (Civil Service)

Secure Job (Civil Service Position)
    Execellent Health Benefits
    Lots of time off :D
    Nice budget
    Nice Retirement Package
    Decent pay icon_confused.gif

Cons:

You can probably be making an extra $5k-$6,000 a year more in a private Industry position.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Viper, that sounds like a great stable job. I've always worked for independent companies & listen to people in all departments complain about their job, health care, money, vacation, -everything. I figure I've got 4 years a System Admin for a large corporation, I’ll get my experience with Cisco gear on the resume, cert up & cancel out all the bitching by earning my own income with a base in networking & flush that money into other things that will bring me revenue. Man, I hate someone holding my check,. If I want more money, I'll just get more business. I would rather work 65 hours for myself than 40 for someone else.