Study question about protocols

gehrig44gehrig44 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
It doesn't seem by the objectives that I need to know all of the 13 Appletalk protocols backwards and forwards.

Same with the IPX/SPX suite. Do I need to learn all 7 protocols listed in my book?

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Learn them. If they are on the objectives any form or fashion, learn them. You don't to be saying to your self if I had learn that one, I would have passed the test. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    +1

If it's on the objectives, your expected to know it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As mentioned earlier, anything on the objectives is important. On a side note, better to know it anyways because you might have to deal with it later. Knowledge is power.
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Learn them, definitely. If nothing else, you'll pass by that much more - and give yourself a buffer between a pass and fail so you can afford to miss other questions.

I got hit with several MAC and Unix/Linux and Novell questions. I spent a couple days on these environments a week before the test and was glad I did.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • HarleyRiderHarleyRider Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There were a few questions I missed on my A+ because I did not know the answers. They were in the book but I neglected to study them and concentrate on others. I did pass, 760, but I could have done better. I studied more for the second part and passed with an 840 out of 900.

I would be sad to not pass by one question and find out it was one of the protocols.

Later on
  • REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gehrig44 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem by the objectives that I need to know all of the 13 Appletalk protocols backwards and forwards.

Same with the IPX/SPX suite. Do I need to learn all 7 protocols listed in my book?

Any thoughts on this?
    I agree. You've got to know them. Remember, CompTia focuses on vendor neutrality, so both Apple and Novell are fair game. There's no telling, but they are definately materials that COULD be asked on the test.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It won't hurt to learn the protocols. I think I had some questions about whether Apple Talk 1 is routable or not. I would focus mostly on TCP /IP suite.
  • gehrig44gehrig44 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I actually didn't bother remembering all 13 protocols in the AppleTalk suite. Since only one of 5 books I looked at mentioned all of them. I made sure to remember the common ones though.

The version of the test I got only scratched the surface of AppleTalk...and I found the questions pretty easy.