Graduate in need of IT Help!

weezerguy187weezerguy187 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I just graduated from college with a degree in psychology, and have realized that it is a pretty worthless degree without going to graduate school. I'm looking to get into the IT field in. I've been building computers, fixing friends computers, and had a love for them ever since I can remember. I wish now that I had gotten a degree in something involving computers.

My problem is, I don't really what to do to break into IT. I've read around the forums that I need my A+, so I'm studying Meyer's All In One now and can't put it down. Can someone point me in the right direction on which certs to get after a+? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Depends on what you want to do in IT. Do you know if you want to do security, systems administration, networking and/or programming? Network+ is where many people go after A+, which I think is a good idea since you really should know at least the basics of networking in order to do any IT job.

If you're interested in security, Security+ is the entry level certification, many of the higher level certs require a few years experience. For networking there is the ever popular Cisco certifications as well as Juniper. System administration certs would be Microsoft or Linux+/LPIC/Red Hat, depending on what OS you want to work with. I don't know much about ones for programming, but Sun does Java and Microsoft has various developer certs for thing like .Net.

If you have an idea of what you'd like to do we might be able to point you in the right direction.
  • weezerguy187weezerguy187 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm definitely interested in more of the networking side or possibly system administration. Also I'd probably stick with the microsoft certs too. So after i do my A+, network+ would be the way to go from what you said. But then what kind of cert do i need?