Failed twice; last attempt?!; take a class?!

seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just took the exam for the second time; scored a 645. I failed it again. The first time (August 200icon_cool.gif I scored a 615. I used the Exam Force materials and several text books. I am not saying the materials did not help. I have been in IT since 1999. I have been a network admin since 2003. I know access control and certificates tripped me up. But there were questions the study materials did not cover. :-0 I normally don't attempt cert exams after failing twice. I missed MS Access 2003 twice. Never bother with it again. However, I want to get this one under my belt. I am considering taking a the Security+ class at Microtrain. After six months of self study, maybe there are some concepts I just can't get one my own.

I appreciate any comments.
~ Sean

Comments

• jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No offense, but if you know what tripped you up, why do you feel passing is such a big obstacle? Maybe try a different book, or get a cbt. Work on the areas that you know you are weak in, and take it again. After sitting it twice you should have a good idea of what to improve and what you do know.
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    use both the sybex and syngress books, and if there's a topic u didnt understand, google it until u master it

i heard transcender practice exams are good

don't give up, I'm sure u can
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go with Transcender and a CBT and save a ton of money over a class. If you have any questions, we'll be here icon_cool.gif
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    All good advice.

Keep trying. It is a good one to "get under the belt". I have tried twice, and I am going to hit it again soon.

I see great value in taking some time to really let this stuff soak in. CompTIA approaches these subjects in such general ways, that the questions can be misleading at times. But, I guess that this really does fulfill the non-vendor-specific intention.

You basically have the same study resources that I have, and this time, I have also gone through some Cisco materials to understand security in the "Cisco frame of mind". They have ways of tying things down very tight.

Good luck next time. Maybe we can both post a passing thread soon.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the new Sybex book that covers the 2008 objectives and used the old Transcender practice exam that covers the 2007 objectives. They were enough to help me pass the Security+ 2008. Having read the book cover-to-cover and hit transcender very very hard, I pulled through with a decent pass. You can do it, each person is different with regards to what study methods work best for them. Just need to find what works best for you and stick with it. Best of luck!
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tried the exam two times, I study around 8 month and is very frustaring. I used Sybex and Syngress like you. I also create my own exam cram notes for each chapter of Syngress, but something that it realy helped me was Exam Cram 2, because the style of that book is like Comptia style and help me a lot.

And also, Read, Read and Read until you dream Security+

At this level I think after you studied Sybex and Syngress and after doing the exams twice, the training will not help you.

Studying this exam changed my mind a lot about security. Keep doing.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.