Options

Quick Question on multiple DNS zones

Running Server 2003. My DNS zones are:

cbtnuggets.com
nuggetlab.com

DCPromo was ran earlier to promote my server to a domain controller for zone nuggetlab.com

Created the cbtnuggets.com zone afterwards.

The nuggetlab.com domain is supposed to have an A record correct? I didn't see one there, so I'm guessing I deleted it.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is the NIC set to register with DNS?

Have you tried an ipconfig /registerdns?

Have you rebooted or restarted the net logon service since creating the zone?
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    What I'm asking is theres supposed to be a DNS host record for the other primary zone I created right?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just to confirm, you have one domain controller and the AD domain is nuggetlab.com. In DNS, you have all the correct records for your domain controller in the nuggetlab.com primary zone. You then created the cbtnuggets.com primary zone. Is that all correct? Where do you think you're missing an A record?
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No there's no A record in the other zone. The DC will have an A record in the domain it's joined to. When you create another zone, all you'll have is the NS record for the new zone that points to the A record in the other zone. You can of course manually create an A record for the new zone for the DC so you can contact DC.newzone.com so you can then resolve the DC using the new namespace.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Just to confirm, you have one domain controller and the AD domain is nuggetlab.com. In DNS, you have all the correct records for your domain controller in the nuggetlab.com primary zone. You then created the cbtnuggets.com primary zone. Is that all correct? Where do you think you're missing an A record?

Yes that is correct.

The A record is missing for the cbtnuggets.com domain. Is it supposed to be like that? I just don't remember the default.
  • Options
    royal wrote: »
    No there's no A record in the other zone. The DC will have an A record in the domain it's joined to. When you create another zone, all you'll have is the NS record for the new zone that points to the A record in the other zone. You can of course manually create an A record for the new zone for the DC so you can contact DC.newzone.com so you can then resolve the DC using the new namespace.

Ah ok got it. Well I'm repeating 291 hopefully nail it the 3rd time. Havent really got to DNS yet, still on DHCP.